Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sunil <su...@truesparrow.com> on 2008/07/28 10:56:21 UTC

Exact match

Hi,

I am sending a request to solr for exact match.

Example: (title:("Web 2.0" OR "Social Networking") OR description: ("Web
2.0" OR "Social Networking"))

But in the results I am getting stories matching "Social", "Web" etc.

Please let me know what's going wrong.

Thanks,
Sunil

Re: Exact match

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jul 28, 2008, at 5:31 AM, Sunil wrote:

> Both the fields are "text" type:
>
> <field name="description" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
> required="false" />
> <field name="title" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
> required="false" />

The definition of the field type is important - perhaps it is
stripping "2.0"?   You can find out by using Solr analysis.jsp (see
the Solr admin area in your installation).

> How "&debugQuery=true" will help? I am not familiar with the output.

It provides, among other things, a parsed query and a toString of the
query - both are useful in troubleshooting issues with queries not
doing what you expect.   Couple that output with the analysis.jsp
information and you should have the reason.

An exact match of an analyzed field is not generally possible - it'll
be a phrase match, but not necessarily only matching strings that were
fed in exactly as the values you're querying on.

	Erik

RE: Exact match

Re: Exact match

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.