Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Pedro Villanueva <pe...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/17 07:56:13 UTC

[Question] Apache River as distributed framework for IoT

Hi Devs!

I am a grad student and software developer, currently working on my thesis
about heterogeneous distributed systems (IoT like).

Looking at JINI documentation(now Apache River), I found many useful
characteristics that would be convenient to use. That's why I am planning
to use River base code and apply some changes to it. Primary, I will focus
the changes on some common distributed system problems (master election,
split-brain scenarios, voting algorithms), however the primary goal is to
build a framework to manage small IoT networks (the client and service model
works perfectly with this).

I am still reading the whole documentation, and it appears that the only big
issue for River to become a pure heterogeneous distributed framework is the
centralized lookup service. So one of my goals will be to make it totally
distributed, or at least as much as possible.

My question is: Do you know about similar approaches being done in the past?
I don't want to rework if there are some other alternatives out there.

Any other advice, suggestion or additional information  will be really
appreciated :)

Thanks,

Pedro Villanueva