Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Milan Trninic <mt...@galdosinc.com> on 2002/02/08 16:01:36 UTC

Content negotiation problem - returning the default variant

Hi,

I have two resources: index.html.en and index.html.fr.
If client hasn't configured the language (doesn't send Accept header) the server returns the default variant which is english.
If a client is configured to read for example, German only,  then server returns "Not Acceptable" error. How can I make it return the default? The only way I have found is to make a copy of index.html.en and to name it index.html. But I don't want to maintain two identical files.
Anyone has a suggestion?
Thank you

Milan Trninic

Re: Content negotiation problem - returning the default variant

Posted by Game Wizard <gw...@netvision.net.il>.
use symvolic links for not maintaining two identical files.

for example

ln -s index.html index.html.en

GW.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Milan Trninic [mailto:mtrninic@galdosinc.com]

> If a client is configured to read for example, German only,
> then server returns "Not Acceptable" error. How can I make it
> return the default?

Ahhh, the eternal problem....

In 2.0 there is the new ForceLanguagePriority directive:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_negotiation#forcelanguagepriority

In 1.3, you have found the only solution (a duplicate file without a
language tag).  See http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/lang-neg.html
for a good discussion of the issue.  You can avoid maintaining duplicate
files by using symbolic links or server side includes to generate the
duplicate files.

Joshua.