Posted to user@trafodion.apache.org by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/05 01:52:41 UTC

Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

Hi Trafodion Fans,

I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on the targeted runtime environments for
our next release, which I think we're calling Trafodion 2.0.  I've seen
that it needs to  support working with Apache Hadoop, since the 1.3 release
supported only the  Cloudera and Hadoop distros.

*Trafodion 2.0*

>From what's been discussed on the Dev list and here, I think the target is:

 - Linux Versions CentOS 6.5-6.7 (RHEL 6.5-6.7 - untested? but should
support)
 - SUSE?

 Hadoop/Version            HBase Version
Cloudera CDH 5.4.x                 1.1
Hortonworks HDP 2.3                1.1
Apache Hadoop 2.7.1                1.1

Are these the targets that folks are working on Trafodion 2.0 to support?
Are they the right ones? (For example, should we be looking at Apache
Hadoop 2.6.3?)

Are there other versions of software in the Hadoop ecosystem whose versions
should be specified as targets, especially for distro-less vanilla Apache
Hadoop?

I think that once we release, we should identify the specific versions that
folks have tested with (which might not be all versions and all distros).
I think we should also list versions for software that we believe should
work but have not been tested. As I was trying to understand which releases
worked with what, I came across a great chart in the the HBase reference
book in section 4.1:  https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#basic.prerequisites
then scroll down to see the Hadoop versions.  It would be great to develop
that chart for Trafodion as 2.0 goes forward.

Thanks for any light people can shed on this!
-Carol P.

PS:  For reference, here's my understanding of what Trafodion 1.3 supported:
I've put together the following chart based on the notes from the Trafodion
website for release 1.3 and my understanding of Trafodion 2.0:

*Trafodion 1.3: (Current release)*

  - Linux Versions:  CentOS 6.5-6.7, (RHEL 6.5-6.7 - untested? but should
support)

 Hadoop/Version            HBase Version
Cloudera CDH 5.3.x                 0.98
Hortonworks HDP 2.2                0.98

Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com
Twitter:  @CarolP222

Re: Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi, St.Ack,

I agree about both focus and crazy-making grids, and that's why I tried to
use "tested with" rather than "supports" (though I see i used "support" for
the Linux distributions, oops).  Things are moving so quickly here, and the
combinations get crazy.  If folks select versions that are found on a
couple of the common vendor distributions that we'd like to support and
test with that, then doing basic sanity checking with the actual vendor
distribution should allow us to say that we've tested.

Again, the goal is to make it easy for more people to try Trafodion.  I
believe that many (most?) of the folks trying Trafodion for their own use
cases will come from a distro background, while Trafodion developers are
more likely to work with Apache Hadoop as a starting point. To me, that
suggests we need to at least think about both.

That's why I liked the HBase chart that separated out Supported (or
"believe it should work but didn't try it") from Tested.  For me, that
seemed to be a simple way to tell whether a combination I wanted to try had
been tested and was likely to work.  Then I could map that to vendor distro.

-Carol P.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Atanu Mishra <at...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The core needs to change based on the CDH or HDP version (hbase-trx*.jar
>>> to be specific).
>>>

>> Is that because of the subclassing of regionservers? If so, can we fix
>> this; move on to coprocessors?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> St.Ack
>>

> ​No, afraid this is despite the move to coprocessors.
>
> Amanda is right. The core does need to change typically depending on the
> CDH or HDP version.

Bummer. Can we fix that? Can HBase do anything to help here?
St.Ack

Posted by Atanu Mishra <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>.

wrote:

> +1
>
> The Trafodion project needs to do everything it can to make it easy for
> users to adopt the great software. Is there any special work that needs to
> be done beyond maintaining the installer and running tests?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gunnar
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Atanu,
>>
>> Thanks!  I think that we need to make it as easy as possible for our
>> users to try Trafodion and to use Trafodion.  I don't think most of our
>> non-developer users will be using Trafodion on a plain Apache platform,
>> especially if they're trying it in a commercial environment.  Hortonworks
>> and Cloudera have free community editions.
>>
>> As we're trying to increase our user base and grow our community, it
>> seems to me that we want to make it easier for folks to try and to use
>> Trafodion, rather than harder.  So making sure we have basic functionality
>> that works on the most common distros seems to me to be a basic requirement
>> for success.
>>
>> -Carol P.

>> Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com
>> Twitter:  @CarolP222
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Atanu Mishra <at...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carol,
>>>
>>> Great question! Once Trafodion supports Apache Hadoop/HBase, I question
>>> whether there is a reason to continue to support the Cloudera and
>>> HortonWorks distros.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Atanu
>>>
>>> -----

Amanda Moran

Re: Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

wrote:

> Hi Atanu,
>
> Thanks!  I think that we need to make it as easy as possible for our users
> to try Trafodion and to use Trafodion.  I don't think most of our
> non-developer users will be using Trafodion on a plain Apache platform,
> especially if they're trying it in a commercial environment.  Hortonworks
> and Cloudera have free community editions.
>
> As we're trying to increase our user base and grow our community, it seems
> to me that we want to make it easier for folks to try and to use Trafodion,
> rather than harder.  So making sure we have basic functionality that works
> on the most common distros seems to me to be a basic requirement for
> success.
>
> -Carol P.

> Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com
> Twitter:  @CarolP222
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Atanu Mishra <at...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Carol,
>>
>> Great question! Once Trafodion supports Apache Hadoop/HBase, I question
>> whether there is a reason to continue to support the Cloudera and
>> HortonWorks distros.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Atanu
>>
>> -----

Gunnar

Re: Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Atanu,

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
"tested with, should support other versions"

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>
wrote:

> Sure, we can collect this info in the release notes. I think, however,
> that we need to differentiate the direct dependencies, particularly the
> components that Trafodion is tightly integrated with (i.e., HBase, and to
> lesser degree HDFS, Hive) versus things that are generally can interoperate
> with (e.g., Sqoop) and the version is less likely to be an issue.
>

> --Steve

Gunnar

RE: Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

I agree - as folks develop and test Trafodion, we should note the versions
of all Hadoop ecosystem components that we test with (whether from a vendor
Hadoop distro or as part of setting up an Apache Hadoop cluster to test
on).

Steve, as release manager... As part of the release notes, can we
collect/include this information? Some of it was in the R1.3 release notes,
but with Apache Hadoop support we really need to document more, as Gunnar
notes. I can volunteer to organize it into a table, or Gunnar might want to
since he's done an incredible job pulling together the web site and other
documentation.

-Carol P.

Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com

Twitter:  @CarolP222

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>

Hi,

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

wrote:

> Hi Trafodion Fans,
>
> I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on the targeted runtime environments for
> our next release, which I think we're calling Trafodion 2.0.  I've seen
> that it needs to  support working with Apache Hadoop, since the 1.3 release
> supported only the  Cloudera and Hadoop distros.
>
> *Trafodion 2.0*
>
> From what's been discussed on the Dev list and here, I think the target is:
>
>  - Linux Versions CentOS 6.5-6.7 (RHEL 6.5-6.7 - untested? but should
> support)
>  - SUSE?
>
>  Hadoop/Version            HBase Version
> Cloudera CDH 5.4.x                 1.1
> Hortonworks HDP 2.3                1.1
> Apache Hadoop 2.7.1                1.1
>

> Are these the targets that folks are working on Trafodion 2.0 to support?
> Are they the right ones? (For example, should we be looking at Apache
> Hadoop 2.6.3?)
>
> Are there other versions of software in the Hadoop ecosystem whose
> versions should be specified as targets, especially for distro-less vanilla
> Apache Hadoop?
>
> I think that once we release, we should identify the specific versions
> that folks have tested with (which might not be all versions and all
> distros).  I think we should also list versions for software that we
> believe should work but have not been tested. As I was trying to understand
> which releases worked with what, I came across a great chart in the the
> HBase reference book in section 4.1:
> https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#basic.prerequisites then scroll down
> to see the Hadoop versions.  It would be great to develop that chart for
> Trafodion as 2.0 goes forward.
>
> Thanks for any light people can shed on this!
> -Carol P.
>
> PS:  For reference, here's my understanding of what Trafodion 1.3
> supported:
> I've put together the following chart based on the notes from the
> Trafodion website for release 1.3 and my understanding of Trafodion 2.0:
>
> *Trafodion 1.3: (Current release)*
>
>   - Linux Versions:  CentOS 6.5-6.7, (RHEL 6.5-6.7 - untested? but should
> support)
>
>  Hadoop/Version            HBase Version
> Cloudera CDH 5.3.x                 0.98
> Hortonworks HDP 2.2                0.98

> Email:    carol.pearson234@gmail.com
> Twitter:  @CarolP222

Gunnar

Re: Trafodion Release 2.0 Hadoop/HBase Versions?

Posted by Carol Pearson <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hate it when things are in my drafts folder, not sent...

Thanks St.Ack!

Hmmmm, I need to go look at the HBase documentation to understand the
difference in the HBase versions.  I thought I saw the 1.1 reference
somewhere, but it's entirely possible that I misread.

Thanks for weighing in!  I think this has clarified things tremendously, at
least in my mind!

-Carol P.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.