Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by "Nai Yan. " <zh...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/16 06:46:05 UTC

May I ask why HBase choose to partition data by range?

Hello,
     May I ask why HBase chooses to partition data by range? Why not by Hash or list? I belive in the design phase of HBase, this should be discussed.

     Thanks in adavance.

Nai Yan.

Re: May I ask why HBase choose to partition data by range?

Posted by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>.
It does so by splitting the row keys into ranges. The application controls the row keys, hence it can choose as row key whatever it like. If you prefix the row key with the prefix of the hash of the key you get hash partitioning.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Please see Google's bigtable paper, page 2, section 'Rows'

Cheers

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.