Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@apache.org on 2002/06/15 07:55:53 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c

On 15 Jun 2002 rbb@apache.org wrote:

> rbb         2002/06/14 22:49:06
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                server   core.c
>   Log:
>   Make the default_handler catch all requests that aren't served by
>   another handler.  This also gets us to return a 404 if a directory
>   is requested, there is no DirectoryIndex, and mod_autoindex isn't
>   loaded.
>
>   PR:	8045
>   Submitted by:	Justin Erenkrantz

Just to clarify.  There was a comment in PR 8045 that returning 500 was
better than 404 if a directory exists, but there is no index.  I
completely disagree.  Users see a 500, and they get scared.  IMO, a 404
means that we could not find a valid response, which is this case
exactly.  Plus, this matches what we did in 1.3, and users expect it.

Ryan

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610