Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net> on 2016/01/09 23:51:20 UTC

LTS release or not

Hi

I recently started a discussion about the current release process. You
may have noticed that CloudStack had a few releases in the last 2 months.

My concerns were that many CloudStack users will be confused about these
many releases (which one to take? Are fixes backported? How long will it
receive fixes? Do I have to upgrade?).

We leads me to the question: Does CloudStack need an LTS version? To me
it would make sense in many ways:

* Users in restrictive cloud environments can choose LTS for getting
backwards compatible bug fixes only.

* Users in agile cloud environments can choose latest stable and getting
new features fast.

* CloudStack developers must only maintain the latest stable (mainline)
and the LTS version.

* CloudStack developers and mainline users can accept, that mainline may
break environments but will receive fast forward fixes.

To me this would make a lot of sense. I am actually thinking about
maintaining 4.5 as a LTS by myself.

Any thoughts? +1/-1?

Regards
René

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
About LTS.

Here are some of the Mesos releases:

+## Releases ##
+
+ * Apache Mesos 0.23.1 (2015-09-21)
+ * Apache Mesos 0.22.2 (2015-09-23)
+ * Apache Mesos 0.21.2 (2015-09-24)
+ * Apache Mesos 0.25.0 (2015-10-09)
+ * Apache Mesos 0.26.0 (2015-12-10)

quite frequent.

Anyone cares to check their policies and CI…?

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rene

Re: Summary: -1 LTS

Posted by Frank Louwers <fr...@openminds.be>.
All,

I am +1 on TLS: We have a custom branch of CloudStack, with a few custom patches. Some of which make sense for everyone, and we’ve committed them back, or plan to do so, but most of them only work for our specific case, or “cur corners” by dropping features we don’t need.

An LTS branch would allow us to keep our patches “good” against LTS. Our current tree is based on 4.5. I’d need to perform some manual patchwork to make them apply against 4.6, let alone 4.7. Having an LTS would mean I’d only have to do this every few years...

I know this might sound selfish. But I assume I am not the only one in this case…

Regards,

Frank

Re: Summary: -1 LTS

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: Summary: -1 LTS

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Daan

Have not yet decided which version, but fixes will be backported into
LTS not the other way around.

But I see what you mean. The code base may have much diverted before 4.7
right?

It is not really a problem. It only means more work (argh...). Sooner or
later this will happen for every release we choose.

I would like to use 4.5 for several reasons, one obvious is, that we
know that it is in production on several clouds, including us.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rubens Malheiro <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
There are good points for and against LTS. I do have specific use case
that LTS solves, but in my opinion the scope of LTS would need to be
revised.

Why LTS is good idea?
If you have environment with thousands of servers, upgrading from 4.5 to
4.7 and beyond would be rather risky. There are instances when specific
issues will surface only on very large scale. I've seen it many times,
where my small QA environments would work just fine, but once i go into
a much larger environment with at least 300+ hypervisors - things dont
work as well. Moreover, it may take some time for these issues to surface.

LTS buys us time to properly test, plan, migrate and yet be up-to-date.

If we are open to revising the scope of LTS, it may be more manageable.

Things to consider with LTS to include include:

1) Applicable bug and security fixes
2) Low impact features that don't have dependencies on newer code (i.e.
strongswan VPN would *not* qualify)
3) Features that don't require DB schema change (if such comes thru, it
needs to be heavily scrutinized and commiter needs to provide and test
the upgrade path to next release)

If i'm not mistaken, kernel and most of linux open source packages are
similarly maintained (though in many cases by distribution vendors like
redhat/debian).

Regards
ilya

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
All,

It seems that there is general agreement on the following:

1. There are users that need periodic releases that only focus on stability to minimize change and deployment risk (i.e. LTS releases)
2. There are users that need frequent releases that deliver new capabilities (i.e. monthly releases)
3. These two release types are not mutually exclusive and can be developed in a complementary manner
4. Assuming community has the resources available, we would like to deliver both monthly and LTS releases

For a sometime, ShapeBlue have been considering a proposal to supplement the monthly release cycle with an LTS release cycle. We believe that offering both monthly and LTS releases will make CloudStack more attractive to new users, as well as, addressing the requirements of all current CloudStack users. I expect to publish an LTS proposal within the next day or so that includes most, if not all, of the points discussed on this thread. Hopefully, we will quickly gain consensus on an LTS release cycle, and begin doing the work necessary to deliver high quality LTS releases.

Thanks,
-John

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
John Burwell
ShapeBlue

d:      +44 (20) 3603 0542 | s: +1 (571) 403-2411 <tel:+44%20(20)%203603%200542%20|%20s:%20+1%20(571)%20403-2411>

e:      john.burwell@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:john.burwell@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:image5c2903.png@05139e21.40b48007]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> | CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>
CloudStack Consulting<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-consultancy/> | CloudStack Software Engineering<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-software-engineering/>
CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/> | CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Remi,

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Lucian,

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
thanks Remi, I think I we agree.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi René,

Yes, except there’s nothing in CloudStack that can handle such a version and I’m unsure if the extra dot works. If you call it 4.5.2-1 it works. You could only give the package a new version and then re-release 4.5.2. Although that probably is not compatible with the Apache release process as we release source on a given git hash. We’d then vote on the same version multiple times.

Technically it works, I deployed 4.7.1-SNAPSHOT several times.

Regards,
Remi

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi,

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
Hi Remi

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Guys,

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
My point is that no backporting should have to take place. Wido and SBP
should be convinced of the improved way of working and we shouldn't try to
patch a less ideal way of working into something acceptable if we already
have a good thing. I will start -1 any patch to 4.8 that could also go
against 4.7. I have not with 4.6 yet and that was a mistake. We are
reversing the improvements of our release process.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Daan,

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.
On 01/11/2016 02:28 PM, Nux! wrote:

> What lifetime are we talking rougly for an LTS release? 6 months, 12 months?

I thought about 18 months. After 12 months we define a new LTS.

So users have a 6 months time frame to switch from LTS to LTS.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

On 01/10/2016 11:46 PM, Erik Weber wrote:

> What if the fix is part of a refactorization or a new feature?
> Providing a LTS is not 'easy as pie' with a product like CloudStack where a
> lot of code changes over time.

Didn't say it's easy :)

Yes re-factorization is one of the unsolved "problems". That is why I
wrote, squashing is evil for fixing bugs.

It is important that devs fix the bug first, commit and then do the
refactor commits

If the devs fixed it by "mistake" somehow in the refactor in the past,
then we can decide if we can re-implement the fix without refactor (aka
it would be "obvious and small"). LTS would not mean we fix all the bugs.

> For instance, /if/ the strongswan feature is merged to 4.8, how to you
> handle /ANY/ VPN fixes in 4.5 since they don't even use the same software?
> And the whole VR process was refactored in 4.6 -- meaning you won't be
> using the same scripts, or even the same language.

Yes, we must dedicated from fix to fix. How and if.

> Even if a bugfix is included in master and tested, it is impossible to say
> how it will react with an older/different solution.

It depends, for sure testing must also be done.

> The same can be said for library updates etc.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposing a LTS version -- actually I would
> rather like to have one. I just want to be clear about the fact that it
> won't be always be easy, and not all fixes might be possible to backport --
> depending on how strict you'll be with 3rd party stuff.

That is fine, I am aware of that.

>> * Fix must be important.
>>

> Who defines what 'important' is?

"must be important" means we do not backport trivial things like typos
in docs and so forth, only important things. And I would say important
in a common sense. But it doesn't mean that all important fixes will be
backportable, because they may not be necessary "obvious and small".

> On a last note, doing LTS -- atleast in my opinion -- requires commitment.
> Anything called LTS is usually getting a lot of user focus/traction and
> have to be rock solid and maintained.

That is why I started this thread, I would see a commitment, that _we_
as community provide a LTS for those who need it.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 01/10/2016 09:58 PM, Rene Moser wrote:
> Hi Wido
>
> On 01/10/2016 08:23 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>> I personally am against LTS versions. If we keep the release cycle short
>> enough each .1 increment in version will only include a very small set
>> of features and bug fixes.
>>
>> In the old days it took months for a release, if we bring that back to
>> weeks the amount of changes are minimal.
>
> The current release process is fine! We don't want to change that! No way!
>
> It fits the needs of those CloudStack users who want features fast and a
> minimal of risk.
>
>> You can then decide to always stay behind 3 months on the releases or
>> suddenly make a jump if you want to.
>
> No, unfortunately some of the users can not do that (yet). Staying 3
> months behind fixes (security?) is not an option. In my case it would be
> even longer 6-12 months. For those, an _additinoal_ LTS version would be
> the way to go.
>
>> In my perspective clouds are agile and they should be developed that way.
>
> I fully agree with development, development could go even more agile,
> releases can be agile as well, the problems come when the applications
> go into operation.
>
> If the operation is not ready for deploying agile, those users will left
> behind.
>
> The only thing we need to do is backport fixes to a separate LTS branch.
> That's it.
>
> Only fixes, obvious fixes.
>
>> We should however simplify the upgrade even more:
>> - Separate database changes from code changes (proposed already)
>> - Put the VR in a separate project
>
> Yes, all fine with that.
>
> Again. I do not want to slow down development and releases.
>
> An additional LTS version could even help agile development because you
> can always rely on the argument:
>
> If you want most annoying stable cloudstack, use LTS. If you want to get
> features fast, use mainline. This is the trade off.

Ok, understood. However, it will be up to users on their own to pick
this LTS maintainment up.

That means testing, releasing, testing, backporting, testing, releasing.

Certain users will focus on getting new releases out and others on doing
LTS work.

Wido

Re: LTS release or not

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.