Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2016/10/03 00:22:36 UTC

Photo Viewer on a Mobile Device

In addition to my datagrid, I am also going to have a section for photo
viewing in my mobile application.  On the desktop AIR version of my
application, my photo viewer is fairly simple.  I have an array of URL's
where my images are located, and I feed them as the source to a bitmapImage
component.  I have a previous and next button that manually changes the URL
to display the previous or next image.  It works really nice for a desktop
application.

But I want my Photo Viewer on the mobile device to feel more like a mobile
experience.  So I want users to be able to "swipe" images left and right and
I have a couple of questions in regards to how to make this happen.  First,
I assume that I will have to look into gestures for the swiping to happen.
But I am wondering, to make it feel really "mobile", will I have to download
all of the images and cache them so that you can slide them left and right?

My other thought was that I could use a horizontal list and build an
itemrenderer to display images in the list. Then I could use a swipe to
control the position of the list.

Any other thoughts for building a mobile photo viewer that feels "mobile"?

Re: Photo Viewer on a Mobile Device

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
Awesome link Om!  That has EXACTLY what I need in it!  Big help

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Photo Viewer on a Mobile Device

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Instead of pre-loading itemrenderers, you could pre-load the images from
their urls and cache them using ContentCache.
Here is a related article: http://corlan.org/2011/08/16/flex-mobile-
development-caching-images-using-contentcache/

You could simply load a few images upfront and cache it with ContentCache.

I haven't really worked with this, so you might have to do some trial and
error with this approach.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Instead of downloading all the images, I would just download the next two
and previous two.  That way, you never download too many images at once and
for the user, the response would be instantaneous because the images are
going to be cached locally.

Unless of course, you are going to let them non-linearly jump to an
arbitrary image in the list.  Even in that case, if you download the
next/prev 2 images, you could still maintain a pretty good experience.

Yes, using a horizontal list would definitely make things easier for you.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
Really? Did I stump you guys? LOL No thoughts at all?