Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Kuhn <bn...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/12 18:57:32 UTC

(OT) Forwarding to another server...

This is a little off-topic, but what is the best way to forward a request to
a page not on your server?  I have a servlet that needs to build a url based
on the request, and forward the user to that url.  If I use sendRedirect,
some browsers (like mozilla) limit the number of times it will forward to
the new page.  I belive you can change this by configuring mozilla, but I'd
rather not have to have my users change their settings just for one page.
Working under the assumption that I also can't use response.forward() to
send the user to a url outside my server, I've come up with the following
cheap hack that does exactly what I need.  Can anyone suggest a way to do
this without javascript?

Thanks.

String url = "someurl.com";
response.setContentType("text/html");
PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
out.println("<html><body onload=\"location.replace(\'" + url +

Brian Kuhn
bnkuhn@hotmail.com