Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com> on 2009/02/12 10:35:41 UTC

CXF integration

Hi all,

I would like to have your inputs regarding CXF integration as the default
JAX-WS provider.
To be honest, I've done some tests around JAX-WS within OpenEJB and I'm
facing problems.

I'm looking how to enhance CXF integration.
Here are some problems:
1. when no (SOAP or logical) handler is defined, WebFault does not work !
2. SOAP headers don't work when using headers

I have found a solution for the second topic and I'm still investigating on
the first one.

Kind regards,
Jean-Louis MONTEIRO

Re: CXF integration

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi,

Yes, JAX-WS support seems important.

David Blevins wrote:

> I would guess that any exception annotated with @ApplicationException
> would be treated as if it was annotated with @WebFault.  Not sure if
> there are limitations that would prevent that, but it seems like the
> most intuitive approach.

Not so sure.
Runtime exception may not be treated as web fault even if they are annotated
with @ApplicationException.

My understanding is that a web fault must be a checked exception annotated
with @WebFault.
Other exceptions must be returned to the client as SOAPFaultException

I've done a patch to take those rules into account.
We can change the algorithm if necessary.

I have started to change a piece of code to manage SOAP Headers. It worked
only with no handler.
Now, everything is more consistent and predictable (with or without
handler).

I will open a JIRA ASAP for each of these points and I will submit a patch.
Please don't hesitate to give a feedback if it seems not clear or not
sufficient for you.

Previously, I migrated from CXF 2.0.4 incubator to CXF 2.0.9.
A new CXF version (2.0.10) is out so I have to check if we can switch again
to the last version

Jean-Louis

Re: CXF integration

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
This sounds like some great new functionality.  Would be fantastic to
have JAX-WS support.

On Feb 12, 2009, at 5:15 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:

> I'm fixing the exception behavior but I need to be sure.
>
> In the EJB specification, we can receive :
> - ApplicationException:
>  - checked exception declared in the method signature
>  - runtime exception + @ApplicationException
> - SystemException
>  - everything else
>
> For web service, the specification is not as clear. My understanding
> is:
> - a WebFault is a checked exception with the @WebFault annotation. The
> client will then receive the business checked exception.
> - everything else is returned to the client as a SOAPFaultException
>
> So for checked exception EJB and WS calls are equivalent but what
> about EJB
> ApplicationException based on RuntimeException +
> @ApplicationException ?

I would guess that any exception annotated with @ApplicationException
would be treated as if it was annotated with @WebFault.  Not sure if
there are limitations that would prevent that, but it seems like the
most intuitive approach.

That said I don't this are one of my stronger areas of expertise, so
I'm pretty open either way.  What thoughts did you have?

-David

Re: CXF integration

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi again,

I'm fixing the exception behavior but I need to be sure.

In the EJB specification, we can receive :
- ApplicationException:
  - checked exception declared in the method signature
  - runtime exception + @ApplicationException
- SystemException
  - everything else

For web service, the specification is not as clear. My understanding is:
- a WebFault is a checked exception with the @WebFault annotation. The
client will then receive the business checked exception.
- everything else is returned to the client as a SOAPFaultException

So for checked exception EJB and WS calls are equivalent but what about EJB
ApplicationException based on RuntimeException + @ApplicationException ?

I have some ideas to fix exception handling but I need your opinion.

Regards,
Jean-Louis