Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/05/10 17:31:21 UTC

Ego Vindico Alexandria: Separation of Domains

I want to use what remains of the Alexandria infrastructure to run the
javadoc doclet, umldoclet, javasrc, checkstyle and jdepend and put it all
together.

Currently these features are in Centipede, but we would like to
1. Make them work with the Gump-Vindice-Alexandria descriptors
2. submit all this as patches to Alexandria proper
3. Give Alexandria a life of it's own by concentrating on the code
documentation-comprehension part. Basically Megaenhanced Javadocs, with
integrated uml, metrics, and source.

The code is there to be submitted-donated, we just need to understand how to
make it run on a workspace in a nice way.

                        -oOo-

We took a deep look at both Gump and Vindico.

Personally I like Vindico much better for _this_ task, since it's all Java
based and has a more complete objectmodel.

Given that Gump+Vindico+Centipede+Maven+thenextbigthing would benefit from
having a /common/ system of running against a workspace definition, what
could this system be?

Let's call this Vindico for now, (which seems to get closest to this).

We could have Gump (builds) Alexandria (code documentation) Forrest (site
creation) and Maven (for site creation and metrics, since build is done by
Gump) be used as plugins to Vindico, which in turn becomes a Workspace cron
system, with a consistent way of dealing with "nags" or messages.

This could also mean that we could plugin 2 instances of Gump: one for
builds with versioned jars, one with the latest.

What do you think, does it make sense?
What do you guys think I can do to get the code documentation features up
and running with Alexandria?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Ego Vindico Alexandria: Separation of Domains

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>

On Sat, 11 May 2002 02:04, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Javasrc developers have agreed to donate Javasrc to Alexandria and
continue
> > development here :-)
> >
> > It's more evolute than JXR AFAIK.
> >
> > Here is an example:
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/javadocs/javasrc/
>
> sounds good to me. It would still be good to make it a largely separate
> component because more people likely to use it then.

Yes, I agree.
That's why I want to make Alexandria be a plugin to Vindico-Cron and all
these documentation systems be plugins to Alexandria.

> > Here is what Centipede cents generate and thet I want to see in
Alexandria.
> > Try the "Code" links, and remember that each Javadoc Class page has a
link
> > on top to a basic uml view.
> > http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/
>
> kool - you have docs now :)

;-P

> A few oddities I noticed.
>
> * The text area in todo are is not treated as <pre/> text like it probably
> should be.
> * top of build.xml should be encliosed in <pre/> maybe ?

Skin defects. I'll wait to have Leo fix them, since it's taken from his skin
;-)

> * mailing lists on module.xml are not clickable/hyperlinks
> * layout.html seems shifted to right by a bit ?
> * the reports (metrics/junit/etc) take over the full screen when clicked
on
> but would be nicer if they either popped up in new window or when into
right
> pane or something.

Ok, suggestions taken.

BTW, the new project descriptor we use follows your suggestions too,
and developer ids are their unix ids :-)

> Anyways looks heaps better than last time I looked at it. Good going!

:-D

There is a really cool discussion going on over at the krysalis-dev list,
with also Berin and Jeff.
We are getting to a point of defining a buildmap which calls cents that have
roles :-O :-)

Ok, this is OT here, but I thought you would have liked to know ;-)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Ego Vindico Alexandria: Separation of Domains

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Peter Donald" <pe...@apache.org>

On Sat, 11 May 2002 01:31, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > I want to use what remains of the Alexandria infrastructure to run the
> > javadoc doclet, umldoclet, javasrc, checkstyle and jdepend and put it
all
> > together.
>
> +1
>
> One thing though. I would love to see the java cross referencing broken
out as
> a free standing component. Maven has currently copy pasted it into their
own
> tree but by making the alexandria one separate hopefully there will be
some
> working together on a common version.

Javasrc developers have agreed to donate Javasrc to Alexandria and continue
development here :-)

It's more evolute than JXR AFAIK.

Here is an example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/javadocs/javasrc/

> > Currently these features are in Centipede, but we would like to
> > 1. Make them work with the Gump-Vindice-Alexandria descriptors
> > 2. submit all this as patches to Alexandria proper
>
> +1
> Though you may need a lil bit of work to get some bits of alexandria
working
> 100% with all current dependencies - especially castor.

We were thinking more on jumping on Vindico... Scott, any news?

> > 3. Give Alexandria a life of it's own by concentrating on the code
> > documentation-comprehension part. Basically Megaenhanced Javadocs, with
> > integrated uml, metrics, and source.
>
> You may want to look at JASE. It generates UML diagrams and is written by
one
> of the founders of Alexandria (I think?). From website it looks fairly
good
> (way better than umdoclet IMHO) but haven't actually tried it just yet. I
> bugboarded it for avalon so eventually I will get around to doing it but
> until and can report about its usability but I expect it to be all good.
>
> It's url is at
>
> http://relativity.yi.org/jase/index.html

Ok will look at it.
Currently I have found an XMI2SVG stylesheet that is quite cool.
All I need now is to find a Java2XMI system... I thought I saw it somewhere,
but can't find it anymore...
Any clue?

Here is what Centipede cents generate and thet I want to see in Alexandria.
Try the "Code" links, and remember that each Javadoc Class page has a link
on top to a basic uml view.
http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/

> > What do you think, does it make sense?
> > What do you guys think I can do to get the code documentation features
up
> > and running with Alexandria?
>
> sounds great to me ;)

:-D