Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Joern Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de> on 2005/12/06 17:29:24 UTC

publication templating in 1.4

hi *!

i'm working on a website for two academic institutes that will share a
common corporate design with only minor modifications, so i was elated
when i read about publication templating.

however, the last section of the docs
(http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/publication-templating/index.html#Setting+Up+a+Publication+To+Support+Templating)
irritated me: do i really have to dig into java code in order to profit
from this feature?

another q: i have already played with the "new publication" usecase in
1.4 and it allows me to select another publication as a starting point.
is this already a (dynamic) template, i.e. will changes in the original
publication propagate to the new one, or is it just being copied once
during creation?

thanks,

jörn

--
"Án nýrra verka, án nútimans, hættir fortíðin að vekja áhuga."
"Without new works, without the present the past will cease to be of

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: publication templating in 1.4

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

[...]

>>> another q: i have already played with the "new publication" usecase in
>>> 1.4 and it allows me to select another publication as a starting point.
>>> is this already a (dynamic) template, i.e. will changes in the original
>>> publication propagate to the new one, or is it just being copied once
>>> during creation?
>>

>> It is an instance of the template, i.e. changes will be propagated
>> immediately (or, more correctly expressed, the instance will access
>> the files from the template, which means that changes are reflected
>> immediately).
>

> great. so just to make the "new publication" usecase uses the mechanism
> explained in
> http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/publication-templating/index.html#Setting+Up+a+Publication+To+Support+Templating
> ?

Yes.

> if so, can someone add a note to this document? it was not obvious to
> me. (i'll put it in the wiki as well as soon as i can reach it again.)

The "new publication" usecase is just an example how to call the
instanciator. It was rather meant as a test environment for the Instantiator
than as a part of the Lenya GUI :)

You can as well create your own usecase (e.g., "instantiate this publication").

-- Andreas

Re: publication templating in 1.4

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> do i really have to dig into java code in order to profit
>> from this feature?
>
> That depends on your publication. If you use the default publication with
> some layout changes, you won't need a custom Instantiator. If you add your
> own config files which have to be copied for templates, you will have to
> write an Instantiator.

ok, that is reassuring :-D

> Another option would be a ConfigurableInstantiator, which would read a
> list of to-be-copied files / directories from some config file.
> You could file an enhancement bug if you consider this useful.

first i'll play with it a little to understand the issue better.

>> another q: i have already played with the "new publication" usecase in
>> 1.4 and it allows me to select another publication as a starting point.
>> is this already a (dynamic) template, i.e. will changes in the original
>> publication propagate to the new one, or is it just being copied once
>> during creation?
>
> It is an instance of the template, i.e. changes will be propagated
> immediately (or, more correctly expressed, the instance will access
> the files from the template, which means that changes are reflected
> immediately).

great. so just to make the "new publication" usecase uses the mechanism
explained in
http://lenya.apache.org/1_4/reference/publication-templating/index.html#Setting+Up+a+Publication+To+Support+Templating
? if so, can someone add a note to this document? it was not obvious to
me. (i'll put it in the wiki as well as soon as i can reach it again.)

regards,

jörn

Re: publication templating in 1.4

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.