Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2005/07/09 21:24:09 UTC

What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:43:53AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
> >Trifork has been having some discussions with Geronimo about
> >donating some code to the project.  One of the first donations will
> >be an ORB which is an area where we can really use this code.
> >
> >How do people feel about having the code come in as an incubated
> >Gernimo project and eventually having it become a Geronimo sub-
> >project?  The incubator would allow TriFork to continue thier
> >development while allowing the community to be a part of it.
>
> There are two ways we've discussed :
>
> 1) Bring directly to the Geronimo project in a new part of our SVN
> repository and have the trifork committers continue to work there
> with us on the code, making enhancements to the donated code and
> integrating with Geronimo.  All discussion would be on dev@geronimo
> and the SVN repository would be the responsibility of the Geronimo
> PMC.  We would ensure that the required documentation is properly
> filed with the incubator.
>
> 2) Bring the code to the incubator and work with the trifork
> committers there in the Incubator SVN, bringing to Geronimo at some
> point in the future.

I've heard everyone use the word "sub project", which I don't see in
the options, but I guess I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway.
I'm getting the sense there isn't really a standard definition as, for
example, Jakarta and Web Services seem different.

Dims, I would be very appreciative if you can you give us an idea on
how ws.apache.org does subprojects (how do you run them and how do you
add them).  Seems you have some good experience we might use.

Thanks,
David

Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 9, 2005, at 8:33 PM, David Blevins wrote:

>>> You *could* maintain separate ACL's till the incubation is done. But
>>> it's better to get everyone involved as soon as possible.
>>>

>> We won't be "incubating" anything in here - if we want to incubate,
>> we should go to the incubator.
>>

> I'd like to show my ignorance and openly say, "I don't get it."  I
> don't understand subtlety you guys are talking about.
>
> I'd also like to repsectfully ask people not to use wording like "we
> won't be" as I don't know the rules enough to know if that really
> means "we aren't allowed to" or "the best decision, IMHO, is to".

Ah - sorry.  "We aren't allowed to"

The Apache Incubator is where new independent communities are created
and thus if we wanted to do something like that here, we would be
asked to take it to the incubator.  I'm hoping that we can avoid that
little eddy of a discussion because it was my impression from the
fone call yesterday that everyone was interested in bringing the
TriFork people into our community directly.  Please correct my
impression if I'm wrong.

>> I see incubating as building a separate, distinct community, and I
>> don't think any of us want to do that here in Geronimo, but rather
>> incorporate the Trifork people right into our community from day 1.
>>
>> That said, separate ACLs doesn't mean we're incubating, IMO.
>>

> Again, I'm having a hard time isolating the decisions we have to make
> from the perspectives on how we should make them (sorry).  It's
> difficult having never had to think about this stuff before.

Right - this is why I didn't want to muddy the water with a formal
discussion of "subproject" but rather talk about how we take these
first steps with TriFork as I think we can from that evolve in more
of an iterative organic way.

> So, it seems we have to get a handle on:
>  - Separate ACL or one ACL

Yep.  That's a question.

>  - One Repo or x repos

I think we can drop this as the ACL issue is the same.  One repo with
separate ACLs should be the same as multiple repos each with one ACL

>  - Incubate or not incubate (still not sure on what that means)

Maybe phrase it as "part of Geronimo community or a separate one"
rather than debate the finer points of incubation.  If we want this
to be a separate community on it's own, it goes to incubator.  That's
not a choice  for us. I personally would prefer to bring these people
in right away so we can work together here.

>  - Separate release cycle or one release cycle

 From the sound of it, there isn't anything "distinct" to release for
a while, so i think we can punt that to later if it ever becomes
something separable.

>  - Separate lists or same lists (is that on the table?)

I hope not.  I'm all for one dev list...

> Is that anywhere near comprehensive or accurate?

perfect.

geirm@apache.org

Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 9, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Please see below.
>
> On 7/9/05, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks!  More questions below...
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 05:42:08PM -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>>
>>> - ws.apache.org is one big happy family - means one ACL (same
>>> list of
>>> committers for CVS and SVN as some projects are in SVN and some
>>> are in
>>> CVS)
>>>

>>> - Each entity in ws.apache.org is a sub project. which implies each
>>> one has a subset of ws committers working on it and each sub project
>>> has its own life cycle including releases.
>>>

>> So essentially, what you're saying with these two points is that for
>> WS, subproject means (still having a hard time quite getting it)
>> something like this:
>>
>>   [      committers      ]
>>   [code][code][code][code]
>>
>> Rather than:
>>
>>   [committers][committers]
>>   [         code         ]
>>

> Yes. breakup and manage code.
>

>> So, in the big picture the focus is on breaking up and managing the
>> code, not breaking up and managing the people.  Is that the right way
>> to think of it?
>>

>>> - Some projects were bootstrapped from inside (example scout,
>>> wss4j).
>>> some came from outside (muse, pubsub).
>>>

>> How do you deal with code coming from the outside?
>>

> You *could* maintain separate ACL's till the incubation is done. But
> it's better to get everyone involved as soon as possible.

We won't be "incubating" anything in here - if we want to incubate,
we should go to the incubator.  I see incubating as building a
separate, distinct community, and I don't think any of us want to do
that here in Geronimo, but rather incorporate the Trifork people
right into our community from day 1.

That said, separate ACLs doesn't mean we're incubating, IMO.

>>> - Folks who want to work on code outside their primary project (one
>>> for which they acquired committership via incubation or merit)
>>> can get
>>> active on other projects if they want to.
>>> - Each project can have its own list of active folks (usually on the
>>> web site for each project)
>>>

>> So it sounds like there is some form of people grouping.  Bunch of
>> questions here, mostly overlapping (no need to answer point for
>> point):
>>
>>  - How formal is that and how does one get grouped?
>>  - How is someone determended to be on the ative/non-active list?
>>  - How does someone "get active" on a project?
>>  - Are you always considered "active" once you make the list?
>>  - How does that affect voting?  Is it bad taste to vote on a project
>>    on which you aren't active?
>>

> Nothing formal, its usually historical. i mean if you got in as a
> committer on axis, usually you are involved mostly in that. but if you
> want to work on other things, you can announce your intentions on the
> mailing lists, get started with patches (and get them reviewed), get
> some handle on the sub-project and the people, then once you gain
> confidence add your name to the docs. we still haven't figured out how
> to make someone emeritus. possible yard sticks are commits in the last
> year, posts to dev/user mailing lists etc. vote is a yardstick too.
> people don't usually barge in and vote, we usually have to prod people
> for example, i had to prod folks working on Axis2 to vote even for
> Axis 1.X releases. we are usually very relaxed about such stuff. yes,
> we do want 3 +1's for a release as usual.

Sounds a little like Jakarta commons, with people just noting that
they are working on a subproject and getting involved?

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Please see below.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ok, here are details on ws@apache.

- ws.apache.org is one big happy family - means one ACL (same list of
committers for CVS and SVN as some projects are in SVN and some are in
CVS)
- Each entity in ws.apache.org is a sub project. which implies each
one has a subset of ws committers working on it and each sub project
has its own life cycle including releases.
- Some projects were bootstrapped from inside (example scout, wss4j).
some came from outside (muse, pubsub).
- Folks who want to work on code outside their primary project (one
for which they acquired committership via incubation or merit) can get
active on other projects if they want to.
- Each project can have its own list of active folks (usually on the
web site for each project)
- There are a few reps for each project on the pmc. we try to get
anyone who is interested to join the pmc (usual process existing pmc
member nominates and there is a VOTE on pmc list)

Does this help? Feel free to probe more.

-- dims

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 9, 2005, at 3:24 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I've heard everyone use the word "sub project", which I don't see in
> the options, but I guess I'm not entirely sure what that means anyway.
> I'm getting the sense there isn't really a standard definition as, for
> example, Jakarta and Web Services seem different.

Right.  In Jakarta, the sub-projects were generally independent,
autonomous entities with partial representation on the PMC.  I
believe that the situation arose due to very rapid expansion.  The
situation in Jakarta was not healthy from a corporate governance POV,
and things have been improved, both by increasing the # of committers
on the PMC, as well as sub-project leaving Jakarta to be top-level
projects in their own right.

Here, I think of sub-projects of Geronimo, were we to create them, as
logically distinct codebases (i.e. probably have it's own root,
maven.xml, src or modules dir, etc. that have their own release cycle
independent of the Geronimo J2EE distribution.

As for committers, we'd want all to be on or in the process of being
asked to join the PMC (our goal is 100% committers on PMC...), in
order to make sure that all code at the Apache Geronimo project is
under the PMC supervision, all votes for releases are by the PMC to
make them actions of the ASF, etc.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 07:29:10PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Maybe you could share how things work at OpenEJB?  I see that the CVS
> appears to be divided into several top-level directories :
>
> /contrib
> /openejb
> /openejb-sfnet
> /openejb1
> /website
>
> Are these treated differently?  I assume that they have different
> release cycles (where appropos...)?  Committers have broad access?
>
> I suspect that the answers are "no", "yes" and "yes" and is generally
> how I think our subprojects should work :

We're a bit of a mess right now :) Had we been using svn the whole
time, we'd probably have one repo with proper branches.  Moving from
exolab->sf.net->codehaus didn't help.

Moving the website out was a big mistake as the docs just got really
out of sync with the different versions, Jacek will probably be moving
them back.  I'm kicking myself in the butt for thinking starting a new
cvs repo for each major version was a good idea.  And don't even get
me started on releases.

Anyway, I digress....

I think OpenEJB has managed the growth of a flood of new code and
committers about the worst that anyone could :) I don't know that I'd
want to model anything we've done in that regard.

> 1) Distinct partitioning of the subprojects
> 2) Broad committer access to enable a strong community, with the
> community value that when entering a new area, be respectful of
> what's there, ask questions when you don't understand, etc...
> 3) Separate release cycles so that the parts are easy to depend on
> both within the project and without
> 4) Single PMC overview and responsibility

Items 2, 3 and 4 look good.  I'm not sure what disctinct partitioning
entails.

> For example, I could see us doing a [....]

I'd like to see us maybe do these someday if we could:
 - J2CA subproject (Jencks :)
 - Security subproject
 - ORB subproject

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jul 9, 2005, at 5:09 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:28:47PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for keeping this subject, "subproject", out of the trifork
>> thread.  I think that they are independent issues and we should
>> quickly decide on how we work with TriFork and can talk about sub-
>> project structure independently...
>>

> Yea, but I do think it is related to the subproject concept.  IIRC,
> we're not going to see much code for a few weeks anyway.  So no
> harm in gathering experiences.
>
> Still waiting to hear from Dims on WS sub projects or any other ASF
> Members with experience to share.

I mentioned Jakarta too...

[...]

For example, I could see us doing a "Geronimo The Container"
subproject, so that we have a clean separation of our generally-
useful-and-not-dependent-on-J2EE container and component
infrastructure, a "Geronimo J2EE COnfiguration" subproject (which
produces the Container+Configuration that is the J2EE 1.4 certified
server), a website+documentation subproject,  and other things, like
Dain's alternative implementation of the kernel that he has at
gbean.org, or if over time (long time) the ORB was able to be a
standalone thing, the "GeronimORB" subproject (although for now,
that's not anyones intention, IIRC)

geir
geirm@apache.org

Re: What is a subproject anyway? (was: Trifork Code)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:28:47PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Thanks for keeping this subject, "subproject", out of the trifork
> thread.  I think that they are independent issues and we should
> quickly decide on how we work with TriFork and can talk about sub-
> project structure independently...

Yea, but I do think it is related to the subproject concept.  IIRC, we're not going to see much code for a few weeks anyway.  So no harm in gathering experiences.

Still waiting to hear from Dims on WS sub projects or any other ASF Members with experience to share.

> Do you have any opinion on bringing TriFork here?

It's a great thing.

-David

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org