Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by WalkerP <Wa...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/09 13:01:39 UTC

[GHOP] Issue 14 - Created an Animated Launch Page for Site

Re: [GHOP] Issue 14 - Created an Animated Launch Page for Site

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@apache.org>.
The first one is nice.

Frank

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mc...@e-card.bg>.
WalkerP wrote:
> Wondering what's happening with this task - I've put the files at Google Code
> http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=14#c23
> and I'd like to know if they're acceptable…

The rising (Wicket) sun is really cool !
There is a light at the end of the tunnel for you JSP developers :-)

Re: [GHOP] Issue 14 - Created an Animated Launch Page for Site

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Maybe not clear from my message earlier: regardless of the outcome of
the vote, we will close the issue as successful (provided you submit
the code to JIRA). This way you can continue with the contest.

Martijn

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Walker,

Posted by WalkerP <Wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 15, 2007 9:25 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> looks pretty cool. what is the scope of this meant to be? should it be
> just an entry point into the main site or should it really have all
> those tabs - kinda replacing some of the functionaliy of the main
> site?

I guess if those tabs would be drop down menus, we don't need a lot of
them. We should think which ones we really need though.

Maybe:

  - Wicket - Introduction
               - Releases
               - News
               - Team

  - Documentation - Getting started
                           - Books
                           - WIKI
                           - Component reference
                           - Examples
                           - Quickstart Wizard
                           - Javadoc reference

  - Community - Building from source
                      - Mailing lists
                      - Reporting bugs
                      - Third party projects & Tool support
                      - Continuous integration
                      - Planet Wicket

   - Developers - Writing docs
                      - How to get involved

   - Apache - Apache
                 - Sponsorship
                 - Thanks

> would be really cool if the text/version num/published dates were all
> variables passed into the flash object from html - less hassle for us
> to maintain the swf.

+1

Eelco

Re: [GHOP] Issue 14 - Created an Animated Launch Page for Site

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Cool, I thought already (the mockup name triggered that), but I just wanted
to make it sure we get javascript.

Martijn

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Heh, this site is mostly viewed by developers, so their setup is not a
common household config. However, 1280x1024 is the default size for 17" 4:3
flat panels, and I imagine that those are really popular in businesses.
I can't give you the sizes of the browser windows. The stats come from
google analytics and that doesn't provide them.

Martijn

Posted by WalkerP <Wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Total and utter Coolness.

Posted by WalkerP <Wa...@gmail.com>.
Firstly, I agree entirely with your position on flash — if I were to make the
page in flash - I myself couldn't see it, — and besides, I don't have $500
to spare to buy Flash! (though, if i can help with 15 issues…)

Secondly, the coffee cup came from
http://code.google.com/p/google-highly-open-participation-asf/issues/detail?id=13
another issue in the GHOP  — personally, I kind of like it, but it wasn't
accepted, so I've stuck with the rising sun page with some tweaks and
changes (e.g: the tabs were originally going to be just tabs, now they're
pull-down menus - as per someone's suggestion. ).

I've currently got a mostly working version of the page that I've tested on:
Safari 3 (which is where it looks best due to support of the 'text-shadow'
CSS property & rounded corners)
Firefox 2.0.0.11 & IE7 (both look the same)
IE6 & IE 5.5 (It failed these tests, as neither browers supports 'max-width'
or alpha transparent PNGs - but both issues should be easily fixable with a

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
I like the first design a lot better than the second one. The rising
sun Wicket logo is fun!

I don't like the coffee cup thing though. I mean, it's well done and
stuff, but I think it is too much toying around. If we'd get the first
one with just that plain 'get wicket' (so the button without the
coffee cup) that'd be great.

Eelco