Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> on 2012/10/17 05:25:45 UTC

Set scanner caching to a better default?

We just ran into this again today, where we forgot to set scanner caching and observed bad performance.
The default of 1 does not seem to make any sense (except for very specific case of large/wide rows).

Any value between 10 and 1000 should be OK, really. Maybe the default should be 100.

This would also go some way to avoid the perception that HBase is slow for folks who are just playing around with it.

Thoughts?

-- Lars

Re: [DISCUSS] Set scanner caching to a better default? HBASE-7008

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
I agree. Let me make it so.

________________________________
> We have patch now (which also disables Nagle's algorithm): HBASE-7008
> The question is now: Should we only do this for 0.96 or also for the upcoming 0.94 point release (0.94.3).
> (See also discussion on the issue)

Only for 0.96 IMO.  Changing defaults under folks in low-level ways
could surprise; a point release shouldn't.
St.Ack

Re: [DISCUSS] Set scanner caching to a better default? HBASE-7008

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by tsuna <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM, lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any value between 10 and 1000 should be OK, really. Maybe the default should be 100.

FWIW, asynchbase uses 128 rows as the default for its scanners, and
4096 maximum KVs by default too.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure

[DISCUSS] Set scanner caching to a better default? HBASE-7008

Re: Set scanner caching to a better default?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I set that to 100 typically.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Set scanner caching to a better default?

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
100 is a good idea.  It's one of the most common questions on the
dist-list (e.g., hey my MR job is slow?  answer:  set caching to something
more than 1).

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.