Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2006/07/15 04:37:02 UTC

Web site update

I just moved the website to Apache (setting the redirects on
objectstyle.org so that old URLs continue to work):

http://incubator.apache.org/cayenne/

I also updated the website to conform to the Incubating Project
Branding Guidelines (if you are still seeing ObjectStyle logo, just
hit refresh in the browser).

A request to our mentors - please review the new site branding and
also update the status file to reflect the new URL. I think
Confluence migration is actually the last item on our infrastructure
list.

Andrus

Re: Web site update

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>> Actually, the only other project using Confluence, Geronimo, uses
>> it  as
>> a main Wiki (at least the "Wiki" link from the main G. site
>> points  to
>> Confluence). So I hope this is not so.
>>
>> I haven't seen any mention that Confluence at Apache wasn't
>> intended  to
>> be a general purpose Wiki, but rather that it doesn't scale very
>> well.
>> And the static site plugin (not sure what it is called exactly)  was
>> supposed to address this issue.
>
> we should get that clarified sooner rather than later. Are you
> subscribed to infrastructure@ ?

Agreed. Yes, I am.

Andrus

RE: Web site update

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

I'm hopping in here real late in the game, but I hope that Confluence can be
used as a general wiki.  We use it internally at Servprise, so I have quite
a bit of exposure to it.  I have yet to use anything else that comes
anywhere close to Confluence in terms of features, aesthetics, and overall
usability.

--
Kevin

Re: Web site update

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> looks good -- and I updated the cayenne status.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
>> Regarding the Confluence migration, I understand from infrastructure@
>> that Confluence isn't supposed to be used as a general purpose  wiki. It
>> was installed for committers to maintain the static, published, web
>> site.
>
> Actually, the only other project using Confluence, Geronimo, uses it  as
> a main Wiki (at least the "Wiki" link from the main G. site points  to
> Confluence). So I hope this is not so.
>
> I haven't seen any mention that Confluence at Apache wasn't intended  to
> be a general purpose Wiki, but rather that it doesn't scale very  well.
> And the static site plugin (not sure what it is called exactly)  was
> supposed to address this issue.

we should get that clarified sooner rather than later. Are you
subscribed to infrastructure@ ?

>> Would Cayenne also like a MoinMoin wiki for general purpose use?
>

> We had a discussion on that some time back and there was a desire to
> preserve Confluence as a Wiki, the main reason being that we are  using
> it as a documentation engine (relying on its export feature),  but also
> because it more feature-rich in general, and we have lots of  Confluence
> content already.

MoinMoin serves the need of a general Wiki that anyone can update. But
there's no requirement to have such a Wiki and many projects don't.

 -jean

Re: Web site update

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Re: Web site update