Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@obsidium.com> on 2006/01/12 01:34:12 UTC

MyFaces release procedures

Dennis Byrne wrote:
>> So far, MyFaces hasn't released any "bugfix" releases, and I don't
>> expect to see one this cycle either; it just releases the next major
>> release and expects people to upgrade.
>>
>> Hopefully bugfix releases will become part of MyFaces procedures in the
>> future.
>
>This would certainly help it get through configuration management at more conservative/large enterprises.
 >Unfortunately, this is something you don't just put a patch in the
JIRA for.

> Will the move to Maven help this situation (better control over the build process) or not
> improve it (fewer people have knowledge of maven than ant).

Well, I think the reduction in the use of "externals" in the svn
repository may help a little; it's easier to create branches now.

But the major work is still a matter of ensuring that patches for bugs
are applied to both a branch and the trunk, or of someone trawling
through all patches applied to trunk and "back-porting" them to a bugfix
branch. That's not really related to the build system at all.

And unfortunately there's just so much exciting work to be done in this
young project on the trunk that it's hard to work up enthusiasm for this
kind of maintenance work.

One nice think about the way JSF is designed, though, is that it's
always possible to override the implementation of standard components
and renderers. People can therefore fix individual components and
renderers if necessary without having to roll their own myfaces-api.jar
or myfaces-impl.jar. And components/renderers is where most of the bugs are.

Cheers,

Simon