Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Joern Kottmann <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/02/03 10:51:22 UTC

Training models for OpenNLP on the OntoNotes corpus

Hello all,

the Apache OpenNLP library is a machine learning based toolkit for the
processing of natural language text.It supports the most common NLP tasks,
such as tokenization, sentence segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named
entity extraction, chunking and parsing.

Many of the competing solutions offer pre-trained models on various data
sources to their users. We came to the conclusion that we have to do the
same to stay relevant.

These corpora we would like to train on usually are copyright protected or
have a license which restrict the use.

I would like to know what the opinion here on legal-discuss is to train
models based on the OntoNotes corpus [1]. Their license can be found here
[2].

The training process does the following with the corpus as input:

- Generates string based features (e.g. about word shape, n-grams, various
combinations, etc.), those features to not contain longer parts of the
corpus text

- Computes weights for those features based on the corpus

The features and weights are stored together in what we call a model and
this model we wish to distribute under AL 2.0 at Apache OpenNLP.

Would it be ok to do that? Are there any concerns?

Thanks,

Jörn

[1] https://catalog.ldc.upenn.edu/LDC2013T19

[2] https://catalog.ldc.upenn.edu/license/ldc-non-members-agreement.pdf

Re: Training models for OpenNLP on the OntoNotes corpus

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörn,

thanks for the result! It would also be great if you could let us know when you find a new suitable resource :)

One that might be suitable is the The Georgetown University Multilayer Corpus [1], at least the parts from Wikinews and Wikivoyage which are licensed CC-BY.

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] https://corpling.uis.georgetown.edu/gum/#license

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello all,

Posted by Peter Kluegl <pk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joern,

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
The license says:

Posted by Joern Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your answer!

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Fwd: Training models for OpenNLP on the OntoNotes corpus