Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Michael Dondrup <Mi...@bccs.uib.no> on 2009/10/02 14:53:06 UTC

ODE and asynchronous transport using ReplyTo

Dear ODE list,

I have a question regarding asynchronous transport message exchange
pattern using WS-addressing.
This might be even a more a general BPEL question but I would like to
know if and how this is possible with ODE 2. Here's the use-case

I have a long running (> 5 min) SOAP service having a single
computational operation (BLATquery). The service  supports WS-
Addressing (via Axis2 1.5). When I try to consume the service using an
Axis 2 client, I pass it a ReplyTo EPR. Axis2 then starts up a
simpleHTTP server on port 6060, waiting for the reply on this EPR.
This works by sending the request and response in two http connections
and therefore there is no transport timeout.

Can I mimic this behaviour using a BPEL process without having to add
a Start and End method to the service or change it otherwise? I came
accross this page
http://ode.apache.org/endpoint-references.html
but I couldn't figure out how to exploit this for my case.
I attach the wsdl file of the service for reference (I have made a
process also, but as it doesn't seem to work it would just cause
confusion).
Any help or example would be appreciated, or do I do something
conceptually wrong?

Thank you
Michael

Understanding EPR handling (was ODE and asynchronous transport using ReplyTo)

Posted by Michael Dondrup <Mi...@bccs.uib.no>.
Dear Milinda and Mark, dear list,

thank you very much for your suggestions, I hope you can help me once
again. I am now trying to build a simplified example case using an
Echo Service with WS-Addressing.
While doing this I came across the Endpoint References page again,
because I think I have to better understand EPR handling.
Reading the page: http://ode.apache.org/endpoint-references.html I
have some more questions:

- The example mentions to use a myRole to create an endpoint reference
for the process.
<partnerLink name="responderPartnerLink"
partnerLinkType="test:ResponderPartnerLinkType" myRole="main"
partnerRole="responder" initializePartnerRole="yes"/>
But this role has also to be defined somehow, where and how can the
Role "main" be defined?

- The documentation mentions that EPRs can be copied to the
PartnerLink like for example:

<!-- WS-Addressing EPR, with the wrapper -->
	<copy>
			<...>
				 <wsa:EndpointReference xmlns:wsa="http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing
">
						<wsa:To>http://localhost:8080/ode/dynresponder</wsa:To>
				 </wsa:EndpointReference>
			<...>
		 <to partnerLink="responderPartnerLink"/>
	 </copy>
Can this construct be also used to pass a ReplyTo address to the
service?

-- And last question: where does this ttp://localhost:8080/ode/
dynresponder address come from? Is is a service that is there by
default?

Thank you very much again.

Michael

Re: ODE and asynchronous transport using ReplyTo

Posted by Milinda Pathirage <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ford, Mark" <ma...@ll.mit.edu>.
The pattern for this in BPEL would be to have an invoke to the long running
service followed by a receive or pick activity for the callback. The message
to the service should contain the addressing information for the callback
within the header or body along with some correlating properties.

I don¹t know if ODE fully supports WS-Addressing such that it would

--
Mark Ford
MIT Lincoln Laboratory