Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/08/24 23:35:33 UTC

Re: Directory names with dots (fwd)

Whoop de-doo-dah.

Sigh oink ouch.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:58:41 -0700
From: Andrew Fladmark <an...@ORBITAL-WEB.NET>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM
Subject: Re: Directory names with dots

I tested this out this morning, and found the following.  The directory
need not actually contain .com for the problem to occur.  I tried the
following combinations:

http://www.ourserver.com/www.jones.com/hello.asp
http://www.ourserver.com/www.jones.net/hello.asp
http://www.ourserver.com/www.micha/hello.asp
http://www.ourserver.com/blah.blah/hello.asp

So as near as I can tell, the directory need only to contain a period.

If the directory is on a FAT drive, it will display the source to everyone,
if it is on an NTFS drive, and the permissions are set to everyone on the
directory, the source will display.  Only if there are restricted
permissions will it ask for a password.

Andrew Fladmark
Orbital Web Design
andrew@orbital-web.net