Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com> on 2005/10/11 16:55:50 UTC

maven plugin project info is out of date

It looks like the various plugin teams need to update their project
info.  Many of the projects source point to cvs.apache.org instead of
svn.apache.org.  Resulting in a broken URL link.

Should this be in JIRA.  If so where should it go so the appropriate
teams find it.

--
Brian

Re: maven plugin project info is out of date

Posted by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com>.
For example, more specifically:   The Changes Plugin link at:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/changes/cvs-usage.html
points to:  http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/maven-plugins/changes/
when it should point to:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/changes/
<ci...@paraware.com>

Re: [m2] Tomcat Plugin - execution phase 'package'

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Moving to user@mojo.codehaus.org..

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Franck,

On 30/10/05, Franck de Bruijn <fr...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see that the tomcat plugin has an execution phase 'package' defined.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but this causes all the steps
> (compile, packaging, etcetera) to be repeated when goal 'tomcat:deploy' is
> executed. Anyway, if I remove the line '@execute phase = "package"' from the
> Deploy Mojo, these steps are not performed, and this is actually what I
> would prefer.
>
> Since, I normally first build the multiproject (mvn install), and then
> possibly want to deploy the generated WAR file to Tomcat (mvn
> tomcat:deploy). Since the packaging phase has already been performed during
> the initial build, the tomcat:deploy goal should not perform this anymore
> (especially if you pack libraries like Struts and Hibernate with it, result
> in a WAR-file of 9 MB).

You should normally just need to call either tomcat:deploy or install
- they rarely need to be used together.  In you are in development
then tomcat:deploy will build the war and deploy it to tomcat.  If you
need to install the war into your local repo for a further project to
use, then mvn install will work.  Running both together will indeed
build the war twice, but I'm not sure that this is a typical use case?

> My questions are:
> * is it possible to detach a certain goal of a plug-in from the build
> lifecycle through some sort of a setting in the pom (I only encountered
> documentation how to attach goals, but not how to detach them)?

It's possible to run plugin goals at different phases in the lifecyle
by using the <executions> element, see:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html

Although I'd rather that this was not necessary for the majority of use cases.

> * Or would it be a good idea to indeed remove the execution declaration from
> the MOJO and let the users attach the goal to the lifecycle in the
> plugin-section of the POM?

tomcat:deploy depends on the package phase to ensure that the deployed
war is up-to-date, otherwise it'd be all too easy to deploy old code.
Forcing users to bind the goals themselves for simple deployments
increases the learning curve, which I'd rather avoid.

If you could clarify your development process then hopefully we can
accommodate it within the plugin naturally.

Cheers,

Mark

[m2] Tomcat Plugin - execution phase 'package'

Re: *** Spam *** Re: maven plugin project info is out of date

Posted by Brian Bonner <br...@paraware.com>.
Sorry m1.

Brian

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:55 -0400, Brian Bonner wrote:
> It looks like the various plugin teams need to update their project
> info.  Many of the projects source point to cvs.apache.org instead of
> svn.apache.org.  Resulting in a broken URL link.
>
> Should this be in JIRA.  If so where should it go so the appropriate
> teams find it.

For m1 or m2? I'm currently working on m2 doco.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

  -- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: maven plugin project info is out of date

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
For m1:

We are aware of that, there are already some JIRA issues open (eg
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPANNOUNCEMENT-17 ). Feel free to file
an issue for a particular plugin to make sure it doesn't get missed. We
are currently updating the docs for a number of plugins that will get
released before Maven 1.1 gets out. Personally I'd like that all the
plugin sites get republished with m1.1, even if the plugins have not
changed.

-Lukas