Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> on 2013/08/14 19:21:43 UTC

AOO 4.0.0 unusable

For my current needs, AOO 4.0.0 is unusable.  Unfortunately, the
installation program removed my prior version.  Is there any way I can
get a copy of the previous version to install?  Will the two co-exist?

--
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 12:21 14/08/2013 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
>For my current needs, AOO 4.0.0 is unusable.  Unfortunately, the
>installation program removed my prior version.  Is there any way I
>can get a copy of the previous version to install?

The download front page - http://www.openoffice.org/download/ - has,
at the bottom of the Download banner, "Old and legacy version: 3.4.1 + 3.3.0".

(Always archive a copy of installation downloads for this and other
reasons.  Under Windows in particular, save the download somewhere
you can keep it *before* you install the product and install it from there.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.
Am 15.08.2013 15:49, schrieb Josef Latt:

> Am 15.08.2013 14:38, schrieb Guenter Marxen:
>> Hi,
>>
>> IIRC the installation process was changed with OOo 2.x. Till then a new
>> version did not delete the old one.
>
> IMHO but only for main versions eg. 3.x.x 4.x.x not form 4.0.0 to 4.1.0.

With and after OOo 2.x (as I recall) _every_ new version of OOo (under
Windows) deleted an older one, if both were installed with system
integration (not admin install).

But my main concern was:
All versions of OOo and AOO respect StarOffice x.x although their
processes are named soffice.exe and soffice.bin as those of OOo and AOO.

--
Grüße

Günter Marxen

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Guenter Marxen <gu...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Am 15.08.2013 11:48, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to the mail from Brian Barker.
>>
>> You must do a so-called administration installation:
> Are you really advising end users to drop to a command line and call
> msiexec with a bunch of parameters? really? Why should the
> installation process be "disrupted"?
> I never had to do ANYTHING of the above, and I have AOO 4.0
> co-existing with older OO.o and StarOffice.

IIRC the installation process was changed with OOo 2.x. Till then a new
version did not delete the old one.

All versions of OOo and AOO respect StarOffice x.x although their
processes too are named soffice.exe and soffice.bin. (Because of needed
file filters, I have SO 7 and SO 8 parallel to AOO.)

--
Grüße

Günter Marxen

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Am 15.08.2013 11:48, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to the mail from Brian Barker.
>>
>> You must do a so-called administration installation:
>>
>> After downlaoding the package start it, the files will be unpacked in a
>> separate folder. Disrupt the installation process. Go to the folder and
>> start the administration installation with 'setup /a' or 'msiexec /a
>> openofficexx.msi'.
>
> Are you really advising end users to drop to a command line and call
> msiexec with a bunch of parameters? really? Why should the
> installation process be "disrupted"?

IMHO that's not normal for an end user to have two versions, therefore I
think this can be advised.

Yes, disrupting the installation process may be misunderstood (false
expression). Within the whole installation process the first step (I
wrote so) ist unpacking the files in a separate folder. After this the
real installation process will be started. This must be interrupted.

> I never had to do ANYTHING of the above, and I have AOO 4.0
> co-existing with older OO.o and StarOffice.

See my other posting.

> AFAIK Windows provides the ability to run executables as administrator
> just with a right-click...

That's not a server installation, AFAIK (I'm using Linux not Windows).

Regards

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net> wrote:

> In addition to the mail from Brian Barker.
>
> You must do a so-called administration installation:
>
> After downlaoding the package start it, the files will be unpacked in a
> separate folder. Disrupt the installation process. Go to the folder and
> start the administration installation with 'setup /a' or 'msiexec /a
> openofficexx.msi'.

Are you really advising end users to drop to a command line and call
msiexec with a bunch of parameters? really? Why should the
installation process be "disrupted"?

I never had to do ANYTHING of the above, and I have AOO 4.0
co-existing with older OO.o and StarOffice.
AFAIK Windows provides the ability to run executables as administrator
just with a right-click...

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: AOO 4.0.0 unusable

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>wrote:

> Hi Alexandro,
>
> Alexandro Colorado schrieb:
>
>  Can someone provide a tutorial for this process.
>> I think it would be helpful for some people.
>>

> there exists http://wiki.openoffice.org/**wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel>
> But it needs an update and additions for AOO4. And perhaps division into
> several pages.

​yes I recommend using templates, some format similar to this:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/School_Activities_with_Calc​

> Kind regards
> Regina

Alexandro Colorado