Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Russ Zellner <rz...@styleclick.com> on 2001/02/03 00:04:28 UTC

Tomcat to Bean server communication shakey

I dont know what parts of this are relavent but I will give you all the
evidence I can think of.

I have an apache-tomcat/solaris configuration that speaks to a bean
server(same config) on the same network with no firewall between them.
Under very light load(10-20 people) I am experiencing severe system hangs
for the app server.  A bump of either the bean server tomcat or the app
server tomcat restores the communication.  This hanging occurs under very
light traffic as well but the intervals are much greater.

The server is still able to server static HTML and servlets that dont hit
the bean server i.e. SnoopServlet.  Both systems still have 70-80 percent of
all system resources and there dont appear to be many threads waiting.

In watching the port with truss from the bean server end we are seeing a
correlation with the onset of a system hang and an output of a lot of mutex
lock and broadcast commands.  No idea what this means and if its symptom or
a cause.

Im beating my head against the wall.  Any help is appreciated and any more
info I can provide to make it clearer let me know.

Thank you
Russ