Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Enrico Giurin <en...@yahoo.it> on 2006/06/29 16:00:38 UTC

filter increase number of session

Hi at all,
I have problem using filter in my web application under tomcat (tomcat 4.1
on Windows 2k OS).
Client of the web application is an IVR (Interactive Voice Response) in the
context of voice-xml application.
I have configured a filter in order to log all the request (included all the
parameters) to my web application and I realize that tomcat makes a new
session for every request to a URI of my web application.
So, especially if I set a high value for session timeout, when I have a
discrete number of call in the same time, the number of active session
increases vastly.
If I disable the filter that problem doesn't occur anymore and I have a
single session for every phone call.

I am sure that it's not a problem of the filter cause if I simulate the load
web test with jmeter I haven't this problem, that is, I have a single
session for every sequence of http request.

I think that the problem is how the client (IVR) of my web application keeps
the session (cookies or url rewriting), but this behaviour is quite strange,
why I have this problem only if I use IVR and filter togheter?

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Enrico.

Re: filter increase number of session

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
When starting a new thread (ie sending a message to the list about a
new topic) please do not reply to an existing message and change the
subject line. To many of the list archiving services and mail clients
used by list subscribers this  makes your new message appear as part
of the old thread. This makes it harder for other users to find
relevant information when searching the lists.

This is known as thread hijacking and is behaviour that is frowned
upon on this list. Frequent offenders will be removed from the list.
It should also be noted that many list subscribers automatically
ignore any messages that hijack another thread.

The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
This will start a new thread.

Mark
tomcat-user-owner

Re: filter increase number of session

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
could we see the code of this filter?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
There is also the RequestDumperValve which would list out all the
request headers/parameters/cookies/etc. that tomcat is receiving.  See
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/valve.html.

It does have a downside in that it locks you into the system's default
encoding. :-(

--David

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
If you getSession() Tomcat looks for a session, and creates a new one if
it can't find one.

It looks for a cookie called JSESSIONID or a url variable ;jsessionid=.

If your voice app client can't handle cookies, and you have not URL
encoded each URL in the app, then a new session will be created each
time the filter processes a request.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
do you have something like