Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org> on 2005/12/28 17:28:32 UTC

DSO MPMs

Hi,

In the thread called "What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN" started
by Paul on December 3rd, 2005, two ideas I'd really like to get involved
in were launched :

 - mpm-perchild
 - make the MPMs DSO-able

Some of you may recall the design made by Michal (as SoC student) during
the last ApacheCON EU (mid-july 2005) and I think making the MPMs
DSO-able is a preliminary requirement to mpm-perchild development.

Indeed, one of the mpm-perchild pros would be to make the childs use
whatever MPM the admin wants (for example, using a very restricted
user/group for a prefork MPM running PHP, and another user/group running
the event MPM for other virtualhosts, etc).

At first sight, I see some changes to the build process (of course),
changes to the main.c file for MPM loading and running and adjustements
to MPMs theirselves. I don't know how heavy those changes could be,
maybe huge because we want something clean.

What do you think ? Should we start working on this ?

Regards,
- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Re: DSO MPMs

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Dec 28, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:

> to MPMs theirselves. I don't know how heavy those changes could be,
> maybe huge because we want something clean.

You can always fork a branch from trunk to do major surgery.

S.

Re: DSO MPMs

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> What do you think ? Should we start working on this ?
I've missed the discussion, but the idea is something I definitely like.

"Love is not the one you can picture yourself marrying,
but the one you can't picture the rest of your life without."