Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2012/10/13 15:11:39 UTC

Code Reviews

Hi,

Apache runs a ReviewBoard instance [1]. I don't have a lot of
experience with review software, but I think it would help us
streamline our process. I expect reviewing large patches and
suggesting changes would work much better on ReviewBoard than
on JIRA.

I'd suggest that patches should still be attached to a JIRA issue
(it's necessary for legal reasons anyway), but larger ones can
additionally be posted to ReviewBoard.

It looks like everybody can create accounts at ReviewBoard but
INFRA needs to set up a group for Crunch. I'd make a ticket if
we decide to give it a try.

Regards,
  Matthias

[1] https://reviews.apache.org

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the follow-up on that Matthias.

I've just posted the patch for CRUNCH-102 on RB, and assigned it to myself, Matthias, and Rahul for review (I couldn't find Josh in the user list), and it appears to have worked.

- Gabriel

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.
How I learned to stop worrying and love ReviewBoard

I hated RB when I first started contributing to Flume but now I am a fan. The only disadvantage I see is that Jira integration is a little wonky and if you don't use it no RB comments are posted to jira.

In flume we require patches be post both locations.

--
Brock Noland

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi everyone,

thanks for your feedback! I've opened a ticket [1] with INFRA
and I'll ping you when we're ready to go.

Re: Code Reviews

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi Rahul,

On Saturday, 2012-10-13, Rahul wrote:
> +1 to the idea of having Reviewboard. I haven't used it, but I have
> seen other projects using it.  I think it would be quite useful to
> have it.
> For posting patches, can we integrate both Jira and ReviewBoard so
> that every patch that gets posted in jira go down to ReviewBoard ?

I have no idea, probably not. JIRA and ReviewBoard accounts are
separate so there's no guarrantee that a patch in JIRA is associated
with the correct user in ReviewBoard (IIRC Atlassian has their own
code review product, probably it would integrate better with JIRA).

But as I said, I have very little experience with code review
software, so let's give it a try and see if it works for us at all
before trying to integrate it better :)

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Code Reviews