Posted to user@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org> on 2013/12/30 16:43:40 UTC

Re: INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR on getting versions of a vcloud server

[redirecting to user@ as others may be seeing this...]

> I'm trying to connect to a vcloud server request for version fails with 500
> - internal server error [1]. Same request works fine with a rest client.

Do you have wire and header logs for this? Just trying to make sure
we're really making the same request from other clients. And which
version of jclouds are you using..?

Thanks

ap

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.
> Also, please note that in order to reach to this state, I had to patch
> vcloud code. Should I try a newer version?

Probably the quickest and easiest thing to try, if you can. 1.6.3 or
1.7.0 would be good...

Thanks!

ap

Re: INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR on getting versions of a vcloud server

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.
Moving this conversation to the dev@ list.

This discussion points to a hole in our developer documentation. To that end I've started the Annotations [1] wiki page. It's the start of a page that will specify all of the annotations available to jclouds developers.

Please document annotations as you discover them!

Hopefully over time it will fill out.

Thanks,
Everett

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Annotations

On Jan 2, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Everett Toews wrote:

Here's an example of how to use @Consumes at the Type level from the CloudSigmaApi [1].

It will add or replace the Accept header for every call in that Api with whatever value you specify. I think it will do exactly what you want without you having to write more code.

Everett

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/apis/cloudsigma/src/main/java/org/jclouds/cloudsigma/CloudSigmaApi.java#L73

On Jan 2, 2014, at 1:01 AM, Ignasi Barrera wrote:

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked :)

Take a look at this method [1] and who calls it. That RestAnnotationProcessor class is where most of the magic happens. It takes the invoked api method, reads the annotations, and generates the request.

HTH!

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/jclouds/rest/internal/RestAnnotationProcessor.java#L702-706

El 02/01/2014 04:53, "Nirmal Fernando" <ni...@wso2.com>> escribió:
Hi Ignasi,

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:54 AM, Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>> wrote:

You can replace the @RequestFilters annotation by: @Consumes("*/*")
That will translate to the Accept header being set, and can also be overridden in the methods that could need so.

Sorry if this question sounds like stupid. I still don't understand how adding @Consumes does what the filter does. This is my filter code;

@Singleton
public class VcloudSupportedVersions implements HttpRequestFilter {

   @Inject
   public VcloudSupportedVersions() {
   }

   @Override
   public HttpRequest filter(HttpRequest request) throws HttpException {
       return request.toBuilder().replaceHeader(HttpHeaders.ACCEPT, "*/*")
               .build();

   }
}

There is no prerequisite to implement the ComputeService :) I'm not familiar with vcloud, but I can help explaining how the ComputeService interface works and what and how needs to be configured (can also help with code but I lack the knowledge of how the vcloud api works). Perhaps we can have a chat in the IRC channel or start a new thread to discuss the impleme tation details. Would this work for you?

El 01/01/2014 18:05, "Nirmal Fernando" <ni...@wso2.com>> escribió:

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>> wrote:

It would be great to see those PR! Having contributions in the vcloud apis is definitely something that is very welcome.

Do you have any plan to add the Compute view for vcloud-director? I can help with that if you want/can!

What are the prerequisites? :)

El 01/01/2014 17:46, "Nirmal Fernando" <ni...@wso2.com>> escribió:

Only vcloud. I found that vcloud-director is missing the Compute view and it's not gonna help our cause, unfortunately. But I'm using vcloud against a Vcloud Director 1.5 IaaS.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>> wrote:
My plan is to send few pull requests to vcloud api, soon :) (I've fixed few
issues and now in the process of testing 'em.)

Just to clarify, are you working on/using the vcloud [1] or the vcloud-director [2] APIs, or both..?

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/tree/master/apis/vcloud
[2] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/tree/master/vcloud-director

--

Thanks & regards,
Nirmal

Senior Software Engineer- Platform Technologies Team, WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: +94715779733<tel:%2B94715779733>

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Ignasi,

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nirmal,

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm in Europe, so if this timezone works for you wou'll find me in the
IRC channel in work hours. Just ping me!

Ignasi

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Ignasi,

Sorry for the late reply!

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Ignasi,

Sorry, I'm not the jaxrs expert, can you please point to a sample where I
can set a header using @Consumes?

This is how the class looks like now and my fix was to add the filter.

/**
 * Establishes a context with a VCloud endpoint.
 * <p/>
 *
 * @see <a href="
https://community.vcloudexpress.terremark.com/en-us/discussion_forums/f/60.aspx"
/>
 * @author Adrian Cole
 */
*@RequestFilters(VcloudSupportedVersions.class)*
public interface VCloudVersionsAsyncClient extends Closeable {

   /**
    * Retrieve information for supported versions
    */
   @GET
   @XMLResponseParser(SupportedVersionsHandler.class)
   @Path("/versions")
   ListenableFuture<SortedMap<String, URI>> getSupportedVersions();
}

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Andrew and Ignasi,

Thanks for your thoughts. As Andrew said, I think the much safer approach
would be to handle this at the vcloud level. So, I've implemented a request
filter for VCloudVersionsAsyncClient and it works fine.

I hope this way is ok?

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/blob/master/apis/vcloud/src/main/java/org/jclouds/vcloud/internal/VCloudLoginApi.java#L42

Re: INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR on getting versions of a vcloud server

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi Andrew,

No, AFAIU these were set as connection's request properties, and header
logs were printed before setting these properties.

I've done a small fix like this to JavaUrlHttpCommandExecutorService.java.

+if (connection.getRequestProperty(HttpHeaders.ACCEPT) == null) {
+          connection.setRequestProperty(HttpHeaders.ACCEPT, "*/*");
+      }

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
I was wrong in saying 'connection.setRequestProperty doesn't work'. I've
got the httpURLConnection client to work by adding;

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Andrew Phillips <an...@apache.org>.
> I've still no luck with the original issue :( While debugging I've found
> that JavaUrlHttpCommandExecutorService.convert's
> connection.setRequestProperty(HOST, host); doesn't seem to set Host header
> correctly. Any help is highly appreciated.

When you say "not correctly" do you mean "not at all", or something else?

I see you already beat me to my other suggestion of trying the
apachehc driver...so it's something in the java.net stack, eh?

Is the apachehc client a feasible workaround for you for the time
being? And do you think you could open a JIRA issue for this?

Thanks!

ap

Re: INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR on getting versions of a vcloud server

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@wso2.com>.