Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/07/29 20:54:16 UTC

[Vote] product name - for shipping versions

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> I tried to yesterday, but it is nigh impossible without a single unique
>> word to search for.  Maybe we should just hold another vote.
>
> It's hellish to search for, yes.  The topic is raised every once in a while
> and nobody stops to say "Wait, we create the 'httpd' program guys!"  So I'd
> totally disagree with you that it's not consensus.  But I'll agree it has
> changed over the years by lazy consensus.

Roy would prefer we determine the active consensus.  Please vote for what
you believe is the principal, proper name of the product we create from
the sources located in the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/
repository (vote for one);

 [ ]  httpd
 [ ]  Apache httpd
 [ ]  Apache httpd Server
 [ ]  Apache HTTP Server
 [ ]  Other: ________________

This reflects the name of the -current releases- only, we aren't asking you to
choose (or add) your desired name for -future versions-.

Many thanks.

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >> I tried to yesterday, but it is nigh impossible without a single
> >> unique word to search for.  Maybe we should just hold another vote.
> >
> > It's hellish to search for, yes.  The topic is raised every once in a
> > while and nobody stops to say "Wait, we create the 'httpd' program
> > guys!"  So I'd totally disagree with you that it's not consensus.  But
> > I'll agree it has changed over the years by lazy consensus.
>
> Roy would prefer we determine the active consensus.  Please vote for what
> you believe is the principal, proper name of the product we create from
> the sources located in the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/
> repository (vote for one);

A new thread would have been nice...

>  [ ]  httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd Server
>  [ ]  Apache HTTP Server
    ^X
>  [ ]  Other: ________________
>
> This reflects the name of the -current releases- only, we aren't asking
> you to choose (or add) your desired name for -future versions-.

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://pub.perlig.de/> #

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Saturday 29 July 2006 21:28, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Steffen wrote:
> > I opt for:  Apache Web Server
>
> The vote thread asks for feedback on -shipping- versions, that is,
> the names we use today.

The only word we have today that qualifies as a name is Apache.
Adding stop words to that will make no difference to the world at large.

Steffen's suggestion is one of many that's in widespread use,
and is a good description.

> This could be one of the suggestions on the
> -other- thread discussing what the 'next version' will be called.

No, it doesn't introduce a new name that anyone will use.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by Jean-frederic Clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
Steffen wrote:

> I opt for:  Apache Web Server

No: Tomcat is also an Apache web server (via its DefaultServlet).

Cheers

Jean-Frederric

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Steffen wrote:
> I opt for:  Apache Web Server

The vote thread asks for feedback on -shipping- versions, that is,
the names we use today.  This could be one of the suggestions on the

Posted by Steffen <in...@apachelounge.com>.
I opt for:  Apache Web Server

Posted by Steffen <in...@apachelounge.com>.
Apache HTTP Server

I assume that the D stands  for Deamon, and that is a specific term used in
the *nix world. In eg. Windows Apache is named an Service or Application.

Steffen

ps.
But still I opt for Apache Web Server, it is all what it does.

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
Hi,

As most of the things I had to say on this topic have been said
already, let's just vote :

>  [ ]  httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd Server
>  [X]  Apache HTTP Server
>  [ ]  Other: ________________

Regards,
- Maxime

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:26 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Roy would prefer we determine the active consensus.  Please vote
>> for what
>> you believe is the principal, proper name of the product we create
>> from
>> the sources located in the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/
>> httpd/
>> repository (vote for one);
>>
>> This reflects the name of the -current releases- only, we aren't
>> asking you to
>> choose (or add) your desired name for -future versions-.
>>
>>  httpd                fielding (implicit)
>>  Apache httpd
>>  Apache httpd Server
>>  Apache HTTP Server   wrowe, nd, sctemme, maxime
>>  Apache               niq (implicit)
>
> Pretty darned quiet - either "it's summer" or nobody feels like
> joining the fray
> when Roy and Will go at it?
>
> In any case, although I don't disagree with niq that almost
> everyone knows this
> as 'Apache', that isn't/cannot be our product name, and I think
> just about all
> here would agree.  The clever Apache Web Server was interesting,
> but in the
> archives that was considered/eliminated on several occasions in the
> past.

I think it would have been more effective to place a list of product
names in STATUS and let people vote for the ones they like, dislike,
or don't care.  That way we wouldn't be limited to the list you gave.

I've been too busy this month to care -- I came back from vacation to
find that our entire office needs to move down the street within the
next three weeks and the new office needs power, phones, network wires,
and all that other stuff designed and installed before move-in.

....Roy

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well I'm on vacation so thats why I don't reply much.

But i do agree that it does more than just just HTTP.

this will be even more true if mod_ftp gets out of incubator.

So I'm not really for the HTTP in de name.

--
~Jorge

Re: Product name - for future versions

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
> I still stand by "Apache Server Framework" as the best choice.

I like this a lot too!

(Or either Apache World Dominitation Project j/k)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Paul Querna wrote:

> I still stand by "Apache Server Framework" as the best choice. The ASF'S
> ASF is the ultimate way to deliver data from a server :)

:)  ++1

Re: Product name - for future versions

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:26:23PM -0700, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> Pretty darned quiet - either "it's summer" or nobody feels like
>>> joining the fray when Roy and Will go at it?
>> Well, Paul's talk in San Diego got me thinking. We're not really "just"
>> about HTTP any more, it's a misnomer. We're about delivering information
>> using many different protocols accross the internet. I don't know,
>> something like Internet Information Server just seems more appropriate
>> somehow.
>
> LOL :)  Well as I said; focus is on the name of what's /repos/asf/httpd/httpd
> today.  Granted, "d" might be a bit too general, but I agree with everyone
> who's said that the 'next release' aught to get a broader name than just
> plain old Apache HTTP Server.  Apache ++HTTP Server?  Apache Scheme[] Server?
> Some wordplay with MPM (since that's by far the distinguishing characteristic
> of today's httpd over all previous ones, and colors the implementation of any
> protocol that's compiled into the server.)
>
> Apache Empeem Server?

Man, naming incubator projects is hell enough, why bring that kind of
wasted time to dev@httpd?

On a serious note, For all future 1.3.x and 2.x releases, 'Apache HTTP
Server' or whatever the consensus turns out to be is fine by me.

I still stand by "Apache Server Framework" as the best choice. The ASF'S
ASF is the ultimate way to deliver data from a server :)

Anyways, I honestly don't care about this in any real manner until we
are much closer to a 3.0 stage.

-Paul

Product name - for future versions

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 08/10/2006 09:26 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Roy would prefer we determine the active consensus.  Please vote for what
>>you believe is the principal, proper name of the product we create from
>>the sources located in the http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/
>>repository (vote for one);
>>
>>This reflects the name of the -current releases- only, we aren't asking you to
>>choose (or add) your desired name for -future versions-.
>>

>> Apache HTTP Server   wrowe, nd, sctemme, maxime

+1

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Guy Hulbert <gw...@eol.ca>.
I don't think I'm eligible to vote but I would point out that in the
third name the 'd' in 'httpd' is redundant if you append 'Server'.

--
--gh

Re: [Vote] product name - for shipping versions

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
>  [ ]  httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd
>  [ ]  Apache httpd Server
>  [ ]  Apache HTTP Server
>  [X]  Other: Apache Server

I went for Apache Server,
As of now it can do more than just http requests.

Look at the mod_ftpd for examle (not the one in incubator!!)

So Apache Server seems good to me... and this also takes into account
any futare protocal from core seperation.

--
~Jorge