Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Sullivan, Sean C - MWT" <Su...@menlolog.com> on 2004/04/20 17:57:01 UTC

Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant

fyi

Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant

Part 1:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/040
4_bowker/0404_bowker1.html

Part 2:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/040
4_bowker/0404_bowker2.html

Antwort: Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant

Posted by An...@hermes-lg.de.

Hi,

why should I use the Wesphere Studio (WSAD) as environment for my daily
builds ? I did not see any benefits.

We are using WAS (Websphere applicationsever) as application server and
WSAD as IDE. The developers are doing their builds within the WSAD without
any buildscripts.
Our nightly builds and our relase builds are done using some core ant tasks
(compile, jar, war, ear) and some of the
optional tasks ( ftp, clearcase-task) . The generation and compilation of
the ejb-deployment-code is done using websphere specific tasks provided
within the WAS.

I tried to reuse our build scripts within the IDE to support the build of
the developers, but I did not see any benefinits: The generation of the
deployment code tooks too long to be done during every build. So the
developer generate the deployment code only when necessary. The generation
of the jar, war, ear files are done automatically by WSAD, so the
developers do not need the ant tasks. And the developers do not need the
whole ear. By using only selected components we decreased the startup time
of the internal Websphere Test Environment dramatically. So only the
compilation is left behind, but this can be done easily by using Refresh
oder using the rebuild all/ rebuild project.

We are using ant scripts, to schedule our builds on a regular basis. Then
we need to be sure that the latest sources are compiled. We also need to be
sure that the deployment code is generated using the latest soures.

André

                                                                                               "Sullivan,                                                                 Sean C -                                                                   MWT"                                                An                     <Sullivan.          <us...@ant.apache.org>                                  Sean@menlo                                       Kopie                     log.com>                                                                                                                    Thema                     20.04.2004          Performing unattended daily builds                     17:57               with WebSphere Studio and Ant                                                                                                                                                                                        Bi                                                                         tt                                                                         e                                                                          an                                                                         tw                                                                         or                                                                         te                                                                         n                                                                          zu                                                                         "A                                                                         nt                                                                         Us                                                                         er                                                                         s                                                                          Li                                                                         st                                                                         "                                                                          <u                                                                         se                                                                         r@                                                                         an                                                                         t.                                                                         ap                                                                         ac                                                                         he                                                                         .o                                                                         rg                                                                         >

fyi

Performing unattended daily builds with WebSphere Studio and Ant

Part 1:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/040
4_bowker/0404_bowker1.html

Part 2: