Posted to dev@zeppelin.apache.org by Anthony Corbacho <an...@apache.org> on 2015/01/12 08:34:33 UTC

Adding Gradle to Zeppelin

Hi,

Few month back, I started to work on integrating Gradle to zeppelin (pull
request: pull/171 <https://github.com/NFLabs/zeppelin/pull/171>) But I
didnt had the time to finish and complete it :(
So the question here is more like, Should we keep on and try to switch from
mvn to gradle?
What do you think guys?

Anthony

Re: Adding Gradle to Zeppelin

Posted by Anthony Corbacho <an...@apache.org>.
List of things that should be include in this PR:

   - compile, build, unit test
   - creating distribution package
   - running integration test
   - force dependency library version
   - deploy artifact to maven central

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
And if i add something on Anthony's list,

 - build based on profile set (equivalent to mvn -P)
 - overriding dependency's version (equivalent to mvn -D)
 - run checkstyle plugin

Best,
moon

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
about SBT

Posted by "Kevin Kim (Sangwoo)" <ke...@between.us>.
Agreed with Alex, too.

Posted by Anthony Corbacho <an...@apache.org>.
I agree with Alex.

Posted by "Alex B." <bz...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kevin (Sangwoo) Kim" <ke...@apache.org>.
+1 for adding SBT. (in the future...)

I found that SBT is quite good for faster iteration process of development.
(with SBT '~' command, it will continuously and incrementally build your
project)
I think that's why Apache Spark project is maintaining Maven and SBT both.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
-1

Posted by "Kevin Kim (Sangwoo)" <ke...@between.us>.
+1 for gradle,

Posted by Anthony Corbacho <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 11:46 PM, Alex B. <bz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Same here, enthusiastic +1 for gradle
>
> After years of mvn I would rather prefer gradle now, although better to
> exercise caution here as having a full featured programming language in
> build file may make things unnecessary complicated too.

But at least you can unit test your build logic units! ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Adding Gradle to Zeppelin

Posted by "Alex B." <bz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Anthony Corbacho <an...@apache.org>.
Hi

@Eran, I alreaady tried this plugin but i didnt like it so i cooked a sh
script that helps me a lot to generate a proper build.gradle.

@Moon, I added your requirement to my list

@Peng Cheng, I am not really sure about that, but i see what you mean. And
for me, if we want to switch now it is the perfect timing.

@Henry, yes having 2 build system doesnt make sense.

Posted by IT CTO <go...@gmail.com>.
just my 2 cents here,

--
Eran | CTO

Re: Adding Gradle to Zeppelin

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peng Cheng <rh...@gmail.com>.
I'm a long term Maven user/hater but have no experience with Gradle. My
concern is that you may not find as much as plugins if you switch.
As a result. I prone to keep the build system and only switch when
necessary or when there is no tasks with higher priority.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.