Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ammon Johnson <am...@addept.ws> on 2004/08/14 18:30:11 UTC

[users@httpd] File Permisions?

I have set up Apache on a Fedora Core 2 box but for some reason I keep
getting a 403 Permission Denied when I attempt to veiw a name based
vhost that I have set up...

<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName www.consumerbenefitsclub.com
    ServerAlias consumerbenefitsclub.com *.consumerbenefitsclub.com
    ServerAdmin ammon@addept.ws
    DocumentRoot /home/jack/www/consumerbenefitsclub-com
    ErrorLog logs/www.consumerbenefitsclub.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/www.consumerbenefitsclub.com-access_log common
    <Directory "/home/jack/www/consumerbenefitsclub-com">
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all Options
         Includes MultiViews ExecCGI
        AllowOverride None
        AddHandler cgi-script cgi
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Permission on the files/directories: 775

User: user
Group: Apache

When attempting to view the website I get this...

  Forbidden

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Commenting out the following entry...

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

Retured this...

  Forbidden

Any ideas?  I have tried playing with different user/group settings,
different permissions and nothing seems to work.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!!
~~Ammon ;->

Re: [users@httpd] File Permisions? (offlist)

Posted by Ammon Johnson <am...@addept.ws>.
I know that they have been.  I am going to be moving my server because
of that but I haven't been able to get around to it yet.  Thanks for the
headsup though!

Enjoy!!
~~Ammon ;~>

Posted by Chris Zakelj <c....@ieee.org>.

Posted by Ammon Johnson <am...@addept.ws>.
Rich Bowen wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Ammon Johnson wrote:
>

>>I have set up Apache on a Fedora Core 2 box but for some reason I keep
>>getting a 403 Permission Denied when I attempt to veiw a name based
>>vhost that I have set up...
>>
>>When attempting to view the website I get this...
>>

>>  Forbidden
>>
>>You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>>

>It will be much more useful to see the error message from the error log.
>The message in the browser is for the end user. The message in the error
>log is for you, the site administrator.
>
>However, it's likely that you need a Directory block which permits
>access to your content:
>
><Directory /path/to/document/directory>
>Order allow,deny
>Allow from all
></Directory>

The directory section is included in the vhost section...

I don't know why I didn't think to look at the logs...  Apparently it is
complaining about the .htaccess file not existing.  The documentation
tells that I shouldn't be using .htaccess and I don't want to be using
.htaccess.  It also tells me that I can turn .htaccess off by specifying
"AllowOverride None" in the Directory section, which I have done.  The
site also mentions that RedHat likes to throw in a Files section that
creates all kinds of errors.  I removed that section.  I am just about
ready to find another webserver.  What is wrong here?  I am quite
certain that Apache has access to the files that I am trying to serve.

Any help is appreciated!

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

--
When the truth hides