Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/20 03:20:48 UTC

TLP migration: Adding Tuscany to http://www.apache.org

Hi,

One of the steps for TLP migration is to add Tuscany to
http://www.apache.org. We need to have a title (hover text) for Tuscany.
What should we have?

What about "A Distributed Composite Application Framework Implementing SCA"?

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Raymond Feng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the steps for TLP migration is to add Tuscany to
> http://www.apache.org. We need to have a title (hover text) for Tuscany.
> What should we have?
>
> What about "A Distributed Composite Application Framework Implementing
> SCA"?

Looking at other projects, about 4 words seems to be the normal
length of this, though a few take 10 or more.

I think we need something that doesn't use "jargon" but gives
the essence of Tuscany in plain language.

The goal is just to get someone to click on the link and explore
further.  IMO, we shouldn't try to give a full technically accurate
description, just an idea of what kind of domain the project covers.
People at this level are just causally browsing and we want to
catch their eye without intimidating them.

Here are few ideas.  They are deliberately short and "dumbed down".

"Service Development and Assembly"
"Component model for services"
"Service Construction and Assembly"
"Service Component Architecture"

Other suggestions welcome.

   Simon

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Sorry to be out of step, but I don't like like 5.  It's too jargony
for the average person hovering on the Apache home page.  Most people
at this level won't know what SCA is.  Also, it doesn't contain the
word "Service", which IMO is essential in the hover text.

Instead of this, how about "Service Composition Framework"?

   Simon

Luciano Resende wrote:
> +1 for 5.
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Vamsavardhana Reddy
> <c1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you want to make that 5 - An SCA based  Composite Application Framework?
>>
>> ++Vamsi
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here are a list of candidates:
>>>

>>> 1. Composite SOA Applications using SCA
>>> 2. Composite SOA Application Framework using SCA
>>> 3. Build Composite SOA Applications using SCA
>>> 4. Enabling SOA with SCA
>>> 5. A SCA based Composite Application Framework
>>> 6. "Service Development and Assembly"
>>> 7. "Component model for services"
>>> 8. "Service Construction and Assembly"

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 5.

<c1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you want to make that 5 - An SCA based  Composite Application Framework?
>
> ++Vamsi
>
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Here are a list of candidates:
>>

>> 1. Composite SOA Applications using SCA
>> 2. Composite SOA Application Framework using SCA
>> 3. Build Composite SOA Applications using SCA
>> 4. Enabling SOA with SCA
>> 5. A SCA based Composite Application Framework
>> 6. "Service Development and Assembly"
>> 7. "Component model for services"
>> 8. "Service Construction and Assembly"
>> 9. "Service Component Architecture"
>>
>> Let's pick one and move forward. It's just the hover text and we can always
>> change that later on.
>>
>> I pick 5 :-).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raymond
>>
>> PS: It looks like some replies went to the tuscany-dev while the rest on
>> incubator-general. Let me add Simon Nash's comments here:

>> Looking at other projects, about 4 words seems to be the normal
>> length of this, though a few take 10 or more.
>>
>> I think we need something that doesn't use "jargon" but gives
>> the essence of Tuscany in plain language.
>>
>> The goal is just to get someone to click on the link and explore
>> further.  IMO, we shouldn't try to give a full technically accurate
>> description, just an idea of what kind of domain the project covers.
>> People at this level are just causally browsing and we want to
>> catch their eye without intimidating them.
>>
>> Here are few ideas.  They are deliberately short and "dumbed down".
>>
>> "Service Development and Assembly"
>> "Component model for services"
>> "Service Construction and Assembly"
>> "Service Component Architecture"
>>
>> Other suggestions welcome.
>>
>>  Simon

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: TLP migration: Adding Tuscany to http://www.apache.org

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
5 is good

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
Raymond Feng wrote:
> 1. Composite SOA Applications using SCA
> 2. Composite SOA Application Framework using SCA
> 3. Build Composite SOA Applications using SCA
> 4. Enabling SOA with SCA
> 5. A SCA based Composite Application Framework
> 6. "Service Development and Assembly"
> 7. "Component model for services"
> 8. "Service Construction and Assembly"
> 9. "Service Component Architecture"
>
> Let's pick one and move forward. It's just the hover text and we can
> always change that later on.
>
> I pick 5 :-).

I like a variation on 1.

"Composite SOA Framework supporting SCA."

It seems to me that composites and SOA are the most important features
of Tuscany.
--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: TLP migration: Adding Tuscany to http://www.apache.org