Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/10 18:17:31 UTC

[betwixt] Strategy for dealing with addXXX() methods

Hi James,

I was just looking at a way for trying to deal with addXXX() methods in
a configurable way. I think I might have come up with a way to handle
it.

While passing through the bean information in
XMLIntrospector.introspect() when discovering a loop type could we take
the name, say Hobbies, and apply a strategy to determine its singular
form? Then store that singular form for later use.

So I could use a plural stemmer strategy that would turn Hobbies into
Hobby and then in the XMLIntrospectorHelper.defaultAddMethods() the
addHobby(Hobby hobby) would be matched up with Hobbies.

We could maintain the current behaviour and possibly make these
strategies stackable so that different attempts can be made. This would
also allow things like i18n plural stemmers.

I'm still trying to sort out some of the, it looks like there is some
duplicated code in the XMLIntrospector* classes but I'm not exactly sure
yet.

But I think this method would work, I'll take any pointers. I think in a
few more hours I'll be able to give it a whirl if the approach is
acceptable.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [betwixt] Strategy for dealing with addXXX() methods

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 20:26, James Strachan wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> I think that approach sounds great. I'm sure we could plug in a few
> different Strategy patterns so that folks can customize the XMLIntrospector
> to suit their needs. e.g. some folks like to use mixedCaseNames for bean
> properties and <mixed-case-names> style XML elements.
>
> So go for it. BTW yes you're right, there's some duplicate code I introduced
> when implementing the loading of .betwixt files. I'm sure we can refactor
> that a bit cleaner to promote code reuse.

Ok, I will give this a first go tomorrow. I would like to dump my mapper
and I think we'll be using betwixt heavily in Tambora so I'll get on it.
Just wanted to double check the approach: I will attempt to make the
behaviour pluggable.