Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Lu Heng <h....@anytimechinese.com> on 2012/06/18 01:37:20 UTC

Regarding 3.0.3

Hi

Few interesting point might was discuss about the version 3.0.3.

1. why it is not available in the cloudstack website,but only in crixi
website, in which resluts a lot of new comers(like us) are discovered
the existence of 3.0.3 after installation.

2. is that a major reason for updating from 3.0.1 to 3.0.3? or it just
isn't much?

Kind regards.
Lu

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee(s) shown above.
It may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. Any review, dissemination or use
of this transmission or its contents by persons other than the
intended addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify this office immediately and
e-mail the original at the sender's address above by replying to this
message and including the text of the transmission received.

RE: Regarding 3.0.3

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
Lu,

When Citrix submitted CloudStack to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) it also included the trademark.   The trademark has not been assigned to the ASF yet, but Citrix is trying to operate as if it were.   As a result Citrix had to create a new product name for the commercial (paid) software based on Apache CloudStack.  The name of the Citrix product is CloudPlatform.

Citrix recently did a CloudPlatform 3.0.3 release.  The source code for this release is available, but it is not an ASF-certified release.   There was a thread a few weeks ago that discussed whether Citrix should continue doing CloudStack releases while the community worked on the next version of CloudStack that would satisfy ASF requirements for a release.   The community consensus as I read it was that folks did not want another Citrix CloudStack release.  The community wanted the absence of a release to put pressure on the community to move forward with releasing an Apache CloudStack 4.0.  It would have been easy for Citrix to release a Citrix CloudStack 3.0.3, and it likely would have helped many people in the community.  But with this direction from the community Citrix decided to make 3.0.3 CloudPlatform-only.  This was also consistent with the goal of having Citrix work like the CloudStack trademark is owned by ASF.

Once Apache CloudStack is regularly releasing software I expect features to show up in Apache CloudStack first, then appear in some derivative Citrix CloudPlatform release.  At this time the opposite is happening.  This is a short term side effect of the difficulty of a first Apache release for a big project and some prior commitments that Citrix had made on its product roadmap.

We probably shouldn't be discussing CloudPlatform in so much detail on the cloudstack-dev mailing list.  I thought I'd share this note in case others were also wondering what Citrix's plans are and what the difference is between CloudStack and CloudPlatform.  Please send me any further questions about CloudPlatform privately or contact the Citrix sales/support team as Swamy suggests.  Thanks.

-kevin

Re: Regarding 3.0.3

Posted by Lu Heng <h....@anytimechinese.com>.
Hi