Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2014/08/02 13:43:13 UTC

RE: question about sentence segmentation

I'm annotating some oncology notes from SHARP right now, and they are basically a nightmare for our current sentence segmentation model. Mainly because they eschew explicit markers between sentences. I thought I'd ping the list with some interesting examples just in case it stimulates ideas. But it seems to me that at some point we'll have to augment the opennlp module (preferable) or roll our own to handle cases like these.

In this example a bunch of background is on one line with no punctuation between logical breaks:
PE: Lymphnodes: neck and axilla without adenopathy Lungs: normal and clear to auscultation CV: regular rate and rhythm without murmur or gallop , S1, S2 normal, no murmur, click, rub or gal*, chest is clear without rales or wheezing, no pedal edema, no JVD, no hepatosplenomegaly Breast: negative findings right/left breast with mild swelling, warmth, mild erythema, slightly tender, no seroma or hematoma Abdomen: Abdomen soft, non-tender.

It would be preferable to me to put sentence breaks in between the sections, so the first two sentences would be:

1) PE: Lymphonodes...
2) Lungs: normal...

but without any candidate characters to split the sentence I don't think it is possible.

Another example that breaks our model in a different way (truncated):
1. Baseline labwork including tumor markers  2. Start DD AC on Friday 8/1 with RN chemo teach  3. S U parent study

Our model will break on the period after the number, so we'd probably get:
1.
Baseline labwork including tumor markers 2.
Start DD.... 3.
S U parent study

So the number is going in exactly the wrong place. Here it would be preferable to get:
1.
Baseline labwork...
2.
Start DD...
3.
S U parent study

Anyways, just something to think about! The problem is much more complex in clinical data than in edited text, but I'm sure we all knew that already :)

Tim

#1 Dilated esophagus.
#2 Adenocarcinoma

-- James

#1 Dilated esophagus.
#2 Adenocarcinoma

my intuition is that each whole line is one sentence. But then there are
cases where the number may be followed by multiple sentences on one line.
1. EGD as a complex procedure. If there is an abnormality, obtain biopsies.

For this example my intuition is not as clear. Should there be a break
after the "1." or should the first sentence be "1. EGD as a complex
procedure."? Again, my intuition leans towards the latter but it seems a
bit odd since the "1." kind of distributes over all the following sentences
(i.e. it's like a paragraph descriptor.)

Does the period after the 1 matter? The number of sentences after the list
header? The fact that it's all on one line? Anything else?

Tim

Re: question about sentence segmentation

Posted by Britt Fitch <br...@gmail.com>.
One method I use for finding headings is "term" followed by either 2 or
more instances of white space or a symbol (colon, comma, dash) followed by
1 or more instances of white space.
Its really naive but works well because the "term" is from a controlled
set. Thats not super helpful in your first example above unless those
sections can be predefined.

Your second example seems a lot harder. Especially when there are valid
number/period patterns at the end of the line. "Patient presented with
fever of 102." or other measurements.

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Tim,

> It would be preferable to me to put sentence breaks in between the sections, so
> the first two sentences would be:
>
> 1) PE: Lymphonodes...
> 2) Lungs: normal...

The punctuation is (always) after the logical break, being "Term: " for a Term:Definition list.  I think that the first three sentences should be
1) PE:
2) Lymphnodes: neck and ...
3) CV: regular and ...
Where the first line is an overarching Term: sentence (tree root), because each Term:Definition line that follows is within the physical exam.

Just an fyi.  Does that make sense?  Haven't had my coffee ...
Sean

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Very pleased to see so many people offer suggestions! Comparing some of
these different methods might make an interesting student project.

Sean:
> Just an fyi.  Does that make sense?  Haven't had my coffee ...
Makes perfect sense, the downside is it requires some kind of higher
level understanding during sentence segmentation to understand what the
hierarchy is. You could imagine something that looks similar but with a
different logical structure. Long term, some big joint model that does
all things simultaneously is definitely something I'm interested in.

Steve:
> Seems like rather than specifying a set of "candidate characters", we
> want to specify a candidate boundary regular expression.
This might be something that would be possible with minimal changes to
the model.

John:
>  why not just split sentences with regex's off a small list of defined onc physical exam terms?
My preference for vanilla ctakes is always to do basic linguistic things
like tokenization and sentence segmentation without reference to
context-specific rules, just because it makes them less portable.
Obviously for specific use cases or applications (like what Britt is
probably doing) you will use whatever information makes sense for your
domain. But I think we could get maybe 75% of the remaining cases (which
are probably only 5% of the total # of cases) by using smarter boundary
conditions like Steve suggested.

Thanks again,
Tim

Posted by John Green <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Miller, Timothy
<Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> PE: Lymphnodes: neck and axilla without adenopathy Lungs: normal and clear to auscultation CV: regular rate and rhythm without murmur or gallop , S1, S2 normal, no murmur, click, rub or gal*, chest is clear without rales or wheezing, no pedal edema, no JVD, no hepatosplenomegaly Breast: negative findings right/left breast with mild swelling, warmth, mild erythema, slightly tender, no seroma or hematoma Abdomen: Abdomen soft, non-tender.
>
> It would be preferable to me to put sentence breaks in between the sections, so the first two sentences would be:
>
> 1) PE: Lymphonodes...
> 2) Lungs: normal...
[snip]