Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/04/05 22:29:51 UTC

-Dmaven.repo.local as a option to mvn

A while ago I heard that the -Dmaven.repo.local property was
deprecated and was going to be removed in the future.

This flag is super handy and I think that it should stay... and more
so I think that it is so useful that it should be promoted to a flag
on mvn, like -R, --repository.

I use -Dmaven.repo.local all of the time to verify builds from
release repo zips or to quickly test the build-ability of a project
with a clean repo, w/o nuking my normal cache.

It would be a PITA to have to make a settings.xml file each time I
wanted to simply use a new repo location.

Can we please keep -Dmaven.repo.local around permanently, and
really... replace it with -R, --repository flags to the mvn cli?

--jason

RE: -Dmaven.repo.local as a option to mvn

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Yes, I've been burned by this before also. I even wrote an issue!
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1992

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 5 Apr 07, at 6:53 PM 5 Apr 07, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Related to -Dfoo=bar stuff though, wouldn't it be better for the
>>> cli to set those in some maven properties which could be attached
>>> to the request and not use system properties at all?
>>>

>> That's what I've changed it to do in 2.1. There are properties
>> that are carried through in the execution request.
>
> Cool :-)
>
> Related to properties in poms... what about adding support to allow
> properties to be overridden by those carried in the request, or
> force the properties in the pom to take precedence?
>
> Maybe something like:
>
> <properties>
>     <foo allow-override="true">foo</foo>
>     <bar>bar</bar >
> </properties>

Too complicated.

> Then `mvn` would have ${foo} == 'foo', but `mvn -Dfoo=blah` would
> have ${foo} == 'blah'.  And `mvn -Dbar=fuff` would behave as
> properties in poms do now, keeping ${bar} == 'bar'.
>
> This would be very helpful to provide default values for properties
> which could be altered by -D on the cli.

I think just setting a property and then allowing overriding from the
command line would suffice no?

Jason.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.