Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Muslim Chochlov <mu...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/27 21:08:28 UTC

GSoC project details

Hello,

I consider participating in GSoC 2010 and I chose ASF Sling project from the
list.

Specifically jira SLING-1437 seems challenging and I believe this is an
issue I can handle.

I've been browsing sling repository and noticed that a fair amount of
modules/subprojects have lack of unit/integration tests.
1. My first question would be - should the project cover test implementation
for all subprojects that don't have them at the moment or there are some
subprojects of a higher priority which should be handled first.
2. Test coverage measuring and reporting - I would appreciate to hear your
advice how this should be done (there is a comment in jira suggesting using
Sonar).
3. Anything else that should be covered for this project apart from
mentioned above.

Also it would be good to know who is a possible mentor of this project to
discuss everything in detail with him.

Hope to get your feedback.

Cheers,

Muslim Chochlov

Re: GSoC project details

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Muslim Chochlov
<mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I consider participating in GSoC 2010 and I chose ASF Sling project from the
> list....

Cool, thanks for your interest!

> ...I've been browsing sling repository and noticed that a fair amount of
> modules/subprojects have lack of unit/integration tests.
> 1. My first question would be - should the project cover test implementation
> for all subprojects that don't have them at the moment or there are some
> subprojects of a higher priority which should be handled first....

The modules under the "bundles" folder are more important / more often
used than the ones in the other folders (contrib, samples etc) so it
seems to make sense to give them priority w.r.t test coverage.

> ...2. Test coverage measuring and reporting - I would appreciate to hear your
> advice how this should be done (there is a comment in jira suggesting using
> Sonar)....

The main problem that I see here is how to report coverage of the
integration tests (launchpad/testing for example) where the test code
and tested code run in separate JVMs. I have not investigated yet if
sonar would help for that.

> ...3. Anything else that should be covered for this project apart from
> mentioned above....

Adding tests where missing and providing accurate test coverage
measurements is more than enough for this project IMHO.

> ...Also it would be good to know who is a possible mentor of this project to
> discuss everything in detail with him....

I suggested this project so I'm open to mentoring it, but would
appreciate if other community members could help, or gladly accept an
offer from someone else for mentoring or co-mentoring.

But please keep discussions here and revert to private email only if
really, really needed.

-Bertrand