Posted to dev@mrql.apache.org by Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu> on 2013/04/02 17:53:04 UTC

MRQL logo

I was thinking about a logo to use for MRQL.
One idea is to use a sketch of the Hindu elephant god Ganesha,
combined with the Apache feather.
That way, we will have an elephant that does miracles (MRQL).
Wikipedia says that "Ganesha is widely revered as the Remover of
Obstacles and more generally as Lord of Beginnings and Lord of
Obstacles, patron of arts and sciences, and the deva of intellect and
wisdom".
If you google images "ganesha sketch", you will see many sketches that
we can use, although some have a copyright.
Anyone familiar with the Hindu religion? Do you think it may be
offensive or sacrilegious? Is there any graphic designer in Apache who
can do this for free? How did they do the logo for Hama?
Leonidas

Re: MRQL logo

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1 :D

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: MRQL logo

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
I understand Alex's point, too. But I think 'miracle' is not bad. I'll
ask my illustrator friends to draw miraculous cute logos for us. Let's
collect them and vote!

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
@eddieyoon

Re: MRQL logo

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Leonidas Fegaras <fe...@cse.uta.edu>wrote:

> Alex, I see your point. You are right. We need to find something more
> appropriate. It's not urgent.

Thanks for understanding Leonidas. Really I hated having to push this point
but in the end we would have been disappointed for having to change it
later :(. Really sorry for it.

> Maybe we should not use the 'miracle' pronunciation too. MRQL should be
> pronounced M-R-Q-L, not miracle. It's not important to use this name and
> may sound a bit silly and obnoxious.

I agree with Ed's post.

The miracle thing is very broad and universal. It could also mean something
that was impossible but just happened. I don't think there would be an
issue with that in the Incubator. The thing is picking one religious
group's icon over another. That's what brings about problems.

Again thanks for being a good sport about this. I hate being the harbinger
of bad news. It really sucks.

Regards,
Alex

--