Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jose Adriano Baltieri <ja...@unimep.br> on 2006/08/03 16:13:23 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL hardware accelerators & Apache

Someone else using a SSL hardware accelerator with Apache ?

Can you tell us something about it ? Is it affordable ?

Thanks in advance !

--
Obrigado,
                Jose Adriano Baltieri - Analista de Sistemas

Re: [users@httpd] SSL hardware accelerators & Apache

Posted by "Daniel A. Ramaley" <da...@DRAKE.EDU>.
On Thursday 03 August 2006 09:13, Jose Adriano Baltieri wrote:
>Someone else using a SSL hardware accelerator with Apache ?
>
>Can you tell us something about it ? Is it affordable ?

I administer a server that uses an nFast Ultra card from Ncipher. It
plugs into a PCI slot and has an ethernet port on the back, through
which all the computer's network traffic passes (the built-in ethernet
is no longer used).

The card comes with a configuration utility that is used to set up SSL
proxies. I setup a proxy that accepts SSL traffic on port 443 and
passes the unencrypted traffic to Apache running on a different port.
Traffic arriving at the machine on a non-proxied port is passed
straight through (like what a normal ethernet card would do).

Since this was the first SSL card i configured, i thought the setup was
a bit strange. But once installed and configured correctly the card
just works. As for price, i didn't sign the purchase orders so i don't
know the exact cost. I am under the impression that it is one of those
"if you have to ask you can't afford it" things (it costs thousands of
dollars). It may be affordable for large web servers run by a business,
but probably not for a personal site.