Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by "T. Schapitz" <t....@online.de> on 2021/12/31 15:19:53 UTC

RE: Re: AW: Re: [DISCUSS] Default to FlatLaf in NetBeans 13?

To me, this looks like the most attractive compromise.

As a boomer accostomed to my old ways, I'm always a bit dismayed with
overly drastic changes in the look and feel. And having felt somewhat
fortunate to be able to switch from a green on black crt world to black
on white with a grey scale monitor 25 years ago, later even to colors, I
will never understand, why people would want to return into darkness. To
me this somehow feels like lurking about in a dimly lit tool shed. - let
there be light! ;-). That said: being able to select the setting on the
first within the options, and beeing offered to change the default on
the welcome page also would be sufficient as far as I'm concerned,

On 2021/11/29 15:53:55 Michael Bien wrote:
 > On 29.11.21 16:28, Christian Lenz wrote:
 > > I don’t get it atm. What is the preferred solution now? Open the
options when NetBeans is still open or what? That means that I need to
restart NetBeans again. Probably I got it wrong.

 > 1) set LightLAF as default which should hopefully work for many as
 > discussed here
 >
 > 2) notify user somehow that the default can be changed. e.g via
 > convenient link in welcome page or via notification bubble or both (this
 > would link to the options)
 >
 > 3) if user changes settings it will require restart yes but the UI for
 > that is already there
 >

 > =>
 >
 >  - no startup dialog
 >
 >  - no duplicated UI
 >
 >  - potential to be further optimized in future by letting it probe to
 > make a more educated decision whether to automatically set the dark
 > theme instead of light

real value-add in _not_ requiring the user (especially new users) to
know about or touch them.

 > >> We also don't want a situation where we end up having two
different user interfaces for setting the same options. A user that
changed the LAF from a startup dialog or installer would then have to
find and use a _different_ user interface (the Options dialog) to change
it again later.