Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by DB...@dsginc.biz on 2017/10/20 13:46:56 UTC

TomCat service is running but not responding

I have a TomCat 8.5.23 service running on a Windows 2008 server.  The
service would be running fine but it periodically stops responding until I
reboot the server.  I tried restarting the service but it does not always
respond again.  I am not sure what logs I can look at or if it is the app
that I am running on the service.  I looked through the Wiki but with no
luck.

Darin Bolken | Programmer/Systems Support
Dakota Supply Group | P (701) 237-9440, Ext: 8878 | F (701) 237-6504
2601 3rd Ave N | Fargo, ND 58102

dakotasupplygroup.com

Re: TomCat service is running but not responding

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: TomCat service is running but not responding

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.
I will continue top-posting, because in this particular case it seems easier. Apologies
for that, it is against the list rules.

Looking at the log below, there is not much I can tell you, except this :

Log messages where the text starts with "org.restlet.engine" mean that they do not come
from any tomcat code.
Tomcat code messages will always start with "org.apache.catalina.."
(like some of the other messages below)

Basically, it seems to indicate that the error starts with an application which you are
running under tomcat, but which is not itself part of tomcat.
We can generally not help you with that, because we do not know this application.
You should probably contact the support of that application, to find out what causes these
messages.

With a fair bit of guessing, it looks like your tomcat application is itself (as a client)
trying to access some other application on another server (or even maybe on the same one),
and that it is at that level that something is blocking.
There is a http URL in that log. Is that the hostname of your own server ?

Posted by DB...@dsginc.biz.

From:   André Warnier (tomcat) <aw...@ice-sa.com>
To:     users@tomcat.apache.org
Date:   10/20/2017 09:48 AM
Subject:        Re: TomCat service is running but not responding

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Darin,

On Oct 20, 2017 8:48 PM, "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>
wrote:

On 10/20/17, 7:50 AM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
. . .

Then also tell a bit more about the "stop responding" aspect. What
> exactly happens when you try to access tomcat, in the browser ?
> Are you not getting any answer at all, no mater how long you wait ?
> Are you gettin an error page ?
> Are you getting a blank page ?

And are there any messages (especially Java stack traces) in the
"catalina.out" log file that might indicate that something has gone
horribly wrong?

--
JHHL

In addition to the answer of the above questions, I will request you to
take at least 3 thread dumps 5Sec apart, when you think Tomcat service has
"stopped responding". Also look for OutOfMemory condition. Please post
those dumps in this list.

Thanks!
Suvendu

Re: TomCat service is running but not responding

Posted by DB...@dsginc.biz.
I do see a lot of these messages in the C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 8.523\logs\catalina.2017-10-26.log

26-Oct-2017 09:21:56.927 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2]
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [WebSmart-api] appears to have started a thread named
[AS400ConnectionPoolMaintenanceThread] but has failed to stop it. This is
very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
 java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
 com.ibm.as400.access.PoolMaintenance.run(PoolMaintenance.java:79)
26-Oct-2017 09:21:56.927 WARNING [localhost-startStop-2]
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [WebSmart-api] appears to have started a thread named
[AS400 Read Daemon-11] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
 java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
 java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Unknown Source)
 java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)

From:   "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>
To:     Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Date:   10/20/2017 11:18 AM

Posted by "James H. H. Lampert" <ja...@touchtonecorp.com>.

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Berneburg, Cris J. - US" <cb...@caci.com>.
Darin

In addition to checking the tomcat/logs folder, have you checked the Windows Event Viewer for errors?

--
Cris Berneburg
CACI Software Engineer