Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/26 11:07:20 UTC

Hudson notifications and build on snapshot dependency changes

L.S.,

Looking at http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/ServiceMix/,
there appear to be a few builds failing or unstable at the moment.
>From the current failures, only the ServiceMix3 one looks like it's
pure Hudson-related (looking into that one myself now).  I would like
to propose to send mail notifications for unstable/failed builds to
the mailing list so we don't have to remind ourselves to go and check
the builds to see if they're all sunny.

Personally, I would propose to configure the notifications to be sent
when a build fails or becomes unstable and when it goes stable again,
but avoid sending mails on repetitive unstable builds to avoid
spamming the mailing list too much.  If there's too much
Hudson-traffic on the mailing list, we can always create a dedicated
mailing list afterwards (I think that's what CXF does now).  What
mailing list would be best suited to send the notifications to (dev@
or commits@ are the two obvious candidates I guess)?

Another proposal would be to configure Hudson to rebuild servicemix
projects whenever snapshot dependencies get updated (to find out when
changes in cxf/camel/... have an impact on our own code or tests).

Wdyt?

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

Re: Hudson notifications and build on snapshot dependency changes

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Nearly a month after proposing this, I finally managed to get this
done (kind of lost track of this): notifications are being sent to
commits@  for now.  If this results in a reasonable amount of
notification mails, we can still consider moving the notifications to
the (slightly more visible) dev@ list.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 to send to commits@

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 2009-11-26, at 下午6:07, Gert Vanthienen wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> Looking at http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/view/ServiceMix/,
> there appear to be a few builds failing or unstable at the moment.
> From the current failures, only the ServiceMix3 one looks like it's
> pure Hudson-related (looking into that one myself now).  I would like
> to propose to send mail notifications for unstable/failed builds to
> the mailing list so we don't have to remind ourselves to go and check
> the builds to see if they're all sunny.
>
> Personally, I would propose to configure the notifications to be sent
> when a build fails or becomes unstable and when it goes stable again,
> but avoid sending mails on repetitive unstable builds to avoid
> spamming the mailing list too much.  If there's too much
> Hudson-traffic on the mailing list, we can always create a dedicated
> mailing list afterwards (I think that's what CXF does now).  What
> mailing list would be best suited to send the notifications to (dev@
> or commits@ are the two obvious candidates I guess)?
+1 to send to commits@

> Another proposal would be to configure Hudson to rebuild servicemix
> projects whenever snapshot dependencies get updated (to find out when
> changes in cxf/camel/... have an impact on our own code or tests).

+1

Thanks
Freeman
> Wdyt?