Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by paddy horan <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2019/08/07 20:29:13 UTC

Options for running the integration tests

Hi All,

I have been away from Arrow for a while due to relocation of family and RSI.  I'd like to start working toward getting Rust passing the integration tests.  In the last few months a lot of work has been done to "dockerize" many of the build steps in the project, which I'm trying to figure out.

I started out using the 'arrow_integration_xenial_base' image and submitted a PR to allow it to be built from a windows host, but I noticed that there is a page in the pyarrow docs related to integration testing (https://arrow.apache.org/docs/developers/integration.html) that uses docker-compose from the top level of the project.  It seems that the 'arrow_integration_xenial_base' image is replaced by this solution?

Is there a way to run the integration tests (integration_test.py) in a reproducible way via docker at this time?  If not I plan to add the dependencies for go and java etc to 'arrow_integration_xenial_base' so that I can run integration_test.py in a docker container.

Thanks,
Paddy

Integration Testing — Apache Arrow v0.13.0<https://arrow.apache.org/docs/developers/integration.html>
# Build and run manually docker-compose build cpp docker-compose build python docker-compose run python # Using the makefile with proper image dependency resolution make -f Makefile.docker python
arrow.apache.org

Re: Options for running the integration tests

Posted by paddy horan <pa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Krisztián,

I’ll take a look at setting it up.

________________________________
Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
We indeed don't have a docker-compose image for the
"format integration" tests. We can either set it up with
ursabot or the docker-compose, the easiest solution
would be to have the python image as the base image
and install the other language backends, java, rust etc.
then simply run the "format integration" suite.

Because ursabot adoption is under discussion, setting
it up the the docker-compose would require a docker
image like:

```dockerfile
FROM python:3.6

RUN install java
RUN install rust
RUN other backends ...

CMD python arrow/integration/integration_test.py
```

Posted by paddy horan <pa...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks Antoine,

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <so...@pitrou.net>.