Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Laurens Thissen <lt...@xs4all.nl> on 2014/03/25 13:49:36 UTC

Calc and filter

When I apply a filter in a Calc file, is it possible to see how many records are filtered? I am unable to find an easy way to do this in Calc. In Excel this is instantly readable in the status bar (e.g. 7 out of 36 records found).

Thanks for your time,

Laurens

Re: Calc and filter

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 21:45 25/03/2014 +0100, Laurens Thissen wrote:
>On [25 mrt.], at 17:24, Brian Barker wrote:
>>  At 13:49 25/03/2014 +0100, Laurens Thissen wrote:
>>>When I apply a filter in a Calc file, is it possible to see how
>>>many records are filtered? I am unable to find an easy way to do
>>>this in Calc. In Excel this is instantly readable in the status
>>>bar (e.g. 7 out of 36 records found).
>>
>>Towards the right of the Status Bar (at the bottom of the window),
>>you will see a field that is described as "Cell or object
>>information".  This may show Sum or Average by default, but if you
>>right-click it you can select Count instead.  Observing this both
>>before and after the filtering process may provide what you need.
>
>In order for Count to work for my purposes, I have to manually
>select a filtered, randomly selected column of cells, but these
>cells need to be formatted as Numbers.

You can count values more generally using CountA - which is also in
the same place - instead of Count.

Brian Barker

Re: Calc and filter

Posted by Laurens Thissen <lt...@xs4all.nl>.
Thanks Brian,
It helps, i.e. it’s a workaround, not ideal. In order for Count to work for my purposes, I have to manually select a filtered, randomly selected column of cells, but these cells need to be formatted as Numbers. All this is not so bad with small database files, but is quite cumbersome in the case of bigger ones. I hope I am overlooking something, but atm this is one of the strong points of Excel which I’d love to see developed for Calc as well.
Thanks again, Laurens

Re: Calc and filter

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.