Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/01 16:36:41 UTC

Issues building from source

I decided to do a little bit of investigation into my whitespace
regression issue, and checked out the velocity project to build it
from source.

svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/trunk
velocity-engine-parent

Some observations:

1) The readme.txt file in the distribution still talks about building with ant.

2) The build instructions on the web site [1] still talk about
changing your working directory to "build", which doesn't exist.

3) "mvn install" from the root directory generates this error.  I'm a
maven novice, so I can't do much more than report errors with maven.
This was with maven 3.0.3 under java 1.6

[ERROR]   The project
org.apache.velocity:velocity-engine-parent:2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
(/home/[...]/velocity-engine-parent/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
org.apache.velocity:velocity-master:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 25, column 13
-> [Help 2]

[1] http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/build.html

So I decided to go back and try the 1.6.x branch instead.

svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/branches/1.6.x/

This time "mvn install" from the build directory works, but we fail on
the tests.  It looks like maybe I need to do something to specify a
@test.dir@ value?  Again, no hablo maven.

Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.003
sec <<< FAILURE!
Running org.apache.velocity.test.TemplateTestCase
Cannot setup TemplateTestSuite!
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
@test.dir@/templates/templates.properties (No such file or directory)

I know enough to skip all tests, and that works, but I don't know
enough to skip just a single test.  I tried a few things that didn't
work based on results from google searches:

mvn -Dtest.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install

mvn -Dvelocity.test.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install

mvn -Dorg.apache.velocity.test.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install

Re: Issues building from source

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
On 01/04/2014 16:36, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> I decided to do a little bit of investigation into my whitespace
> regression issue, and checked out the velocity project to build it
> from source.
>
> svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/trunk
> velocity-engine-parent
>
> Some observations:
>
> 1) The readme.txt file in the distribution still talks about building with ant.
Oh, yes, we know, only no commiter seems to have enough time to do some
progress towards the release.
> 2) The build instructions on the web site [1] still talk about
> changing your working directory to "build", which doesn't exist.
Ditto...
> 3) "mvn install" from the root directory generates this error.  I'm a
> maven novice, so I can't do much more than report errors with maven.
> This was with maven 3.0.3 under java 1.6
>
> [ERROR]   The project
> org.apache.velocity:velocity-engine-parent:2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> (/home/[...]/velocity-engine-parent/pom.xml) has 1 error
> [ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
> org.apache.velocity:velocity-master:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and
> 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 25, column 13
> -> [Help 2]
You have to checkout velocity/maven/trunk, and issue an "mvn install" on
that. It will install velocity-engine-parent.

> [1] http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/build.html
>

> So I decided to go back and try the 1.6.x branch instead.
>
> svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/branches/1.6.x/
>
> This time "mvn install" from the build directory works, but we fail on
> the tests.  It looks like maybe I need to do something to specify a
> @test.dir@ value?  Again, no hablo maven.
>
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.003
> sec <<< FAILURE!
> Running org.apache.velocity.test.TemplateTestCase
> Cannot setup TemplateTestSuite!
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> @test.dir@/templates/templates.properties (No such file or directory)
I cannot help much on this one. Did you try with the sources of the
release ?

Regards,

   Claude