Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/25 12:53:48 UTC

Upgrading Tomcat need some info

Hey group,

I've been tasked here at work to upgrade Tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0 since I'm
the Tomcat guru here.  Does anyone know, if I take the 5.5 configuration
(server and context.xml) and drop them into 6.0, will the 6.0 server start
or are there things that have to be changed over?  Also were there any
ConnectionPool changes between v6 and 7?  IIRC there were some changes but
darned if I can remember the specifics.  Is there a place that I can go to
look through the changes?  I implemented TC6 with 7's connection pool a few
years back, and I cannot remember the reason why or if there were
improvements.Any information would be greatly appreciated!

- Josh

Re: Upgrading Tomcat need some info

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/26 Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com>:

> I've put 6.0.35 on a staging server and I'll be running the "feeds" I get
> in tandem through it to see if I get any memory improvement over the 5.5
> server.  So as I am thumbing through thr old 5.5 server.xml file I notice
> something that i've not encountered with 6.x yet.  in the <Connector>
> declaration, there is a ciphers attribute as well as a compression one.  Do
> these carry over to 6.x?

compression: yes

ciphers: needs review. It is about what ciphers are enabled for your
HTTPS connector. Usually it is to disable weak ciphers.  Whether or
not this attribute is applicable depends on HTTPS connector
implementation (Java vs. APR). What the value should be depends on
your requirements.

Docs (for HTTP connectors):

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Upgrading Tomcat need some info

Posted by Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com>.
Konstantin -

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/25 Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com>:
> Hey group,

1. Have you seen the following page?

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

> I've been tasked here at work to upgrade Tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0 since I'm
> the Tomcat guru here.  Does anyone know, if I take the 5.5 configuration
> (server and context.xml) and drop them into 6.0, will the 6.0 server start
> or are there things that have to be changed over?

2. A bad idea.

The recommended way is to start from default configuration and port
necessary changes from older version (reading the docs in the
process).

>  Also were there any
> ConnectionPool changes between v6 and 7?  IIRC there were some changes but
> darned if I can remember the specifics.

3. ConnectionPool comes from Apache Commons Pool + Apache Commons DBCP projects.

Tomcat 7 comes with two pool implementation. One is DBCP one (default).

Another is newer one, "Tomcat JDBC pool". Its documentation is
included into Tomcat User's guide.

If you are satisfied with the old one, there is no need to change.

Anyway each connection pool instance can be configured to use
different pool implementation independently. (Or a 3rd party pool
implementation).

>  Is there a place that I can go to
> look through the changes?  I implemented TC6 with 7's connection pool a few
> years back, and I cannot remember the reason why or if there were
> improvements.Any information would be greatly appreciated!
>
> - Josh

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Upgrading Tomcat need some info

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 1/25/2012 6:53 AM, Josh Gooding wrote:
> Hey group,
>
> I've been tasked here at work to upgrade Tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0 since I'm

Why not TC 7?

> the Tomcat guru here.  Does anyone know, if I take the 5.5 configuration
> (server and context.xml) and drop them into 6.0, will the 6.0 server start

IME, no.  I tried that when I switched over a few years ago, and it
caused many headaches.  Take the sample from the TC version you're using
and play with it, rather than starting from the one from your older TC.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Josh,

On 1/25/12 6:53 AM, Josh Gooding wrote:
> I've been tasked here at work to upgrade Tomcat from 5.5 to 6.0
> since I'm the Tomcat guru here.

Any chance you could get them to go all the way up to 7.0? The
difference in migrating from 5.5->6.0 and 5.5->7.0 is pretty much
zero, but migrating twice will be roughly twice as much work
especially since you'll have to go through a rigorous testing period
where you verify that everything still works properly (right?).

> Does anyone know, if I take the 5.5 configuration (server and
> context.xml) and drop them into 6.0, will the 6.0 server start or
> are there things that have to be changed over?

They will not. Lots of listeners have changed names, disappeared, or
been added (as a default) between those versions.

> Also were there any ConnectionPool changes between v6 and 7?

Yes, but the configuration should remain the same, so you shouldn't
notice anything.

Your best bet is to do the following:

1. Make sure you are using META-INF/context.xml for all your webapps
   and not putting them into conf/server.xml.

2. Get the stock server.xml for your current 5.5 version and run
   a 'diff' against the server.xml you are running with. Note
   any differences.

   The only differences should be related to <Connector>,
   <Realm> (which really should be in META-INF/context.xml IYAM),
   <Engine>/<Host> and any clustering you have set up.

3. Get your 6.0 (or 7.0) version installed alongside the old 5.5
   version. Apply the changes from step 2 above to the new
   default server.xml. (might want to make a backup of the original).

4. Look at your old server.xml to see if you have any <Logger>
   configuration. Logging has changed entirely. You'll want to start
   by reading the logging portion of the users guide and then
   editing conf/logging.properties.

Ideally, your webapp should not have to change at all. It is possible
that certain defaults have changed from 5.5 to 6.0/7.0 in terms of
adherence to the servlet spec (for the most part, later versions are
more strict -- at least by default) and that might affect you,
especially if you use JSP heavily... that's where I've seen lots of
noise around tighter spec-compliance recently.

Good luck,
- -chris