Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/03 19:34:37 UTC

JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Hello,
What do you think of moving next major JMeter release 3.1 or 4 to Java 8,
not the next bugfix release.

+1 for me as :

   - lot of libraries are dropping Java7 compat
   - lambda, streams,nio2

Java 7 is EOL since April 2015 (
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html)

--
Regards
Philippe

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 04.08.2016 um 16:52 schrieb Milamber:

> On 04/08/2016 12:45, Felix Schumacher wrote:

>>> Which bug(s) need to make a release asap?
>> Well asap is a bit hard, but I would really like to release a
>> version, which has all the currently known glitches fixed.
>>
>> None are real showstopper, but in sum will be annoying for the users.
>
> We can release a version 3.1, perhaps at the beginning of September
> (after the vacation period).
>
> From here to September, we can test the current trunk to find bugs,
> and if possible avoid 5 RC like 3.0 ;-)
Fine with me.

Felix

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

On 04/08/2016 12:45, Felix Schumacher wrote:

> Am 4. August 2016 11:56:20 MESZ, schrieb Milamber <mi...@apache.org>:
>>
>> On 03/08/2016 20:40, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
>>> Felix wanted a bugfix release ASAP, I support this idea.
>> Which bug(s) need to make a release asap?
> Well asap is a bit hard, but I would really like to release a version, which has all the currently known glitches fixed.
>
> None are real showstopper, but in sum will be annoying for the users.

We can release a version 3.1, perhaps at the beginning of September
(after the vacation period).

 From here to September, we can test the current trunk to find bugs, and

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
JMeter 3.0 is the first release which drop the Java 6 support. The
history of JMeter releases show that the drop of old java version is
long (several year after the end of life)

Drop the Java 7 support for the 3.1 or 3.2 seems not follow the same
strategy that the past.

Perhaps, we need to think about 2 branches:
* branch 3.0.x, a sort of LTS release with Java 7 support (back-porting
some bug patches from the 4.x branch to this branch)
* branch 4.x with the last supported Java version, latest frameworks and
innovation.

Have 2 living branches need more work for the committers. But I think
it's a good compromise between the reliability of JMeter and bring
innovation inside JMeter.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Java 8

Antonio

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
> What do you think of moving next major JMeter release 3.1 or 4 to Java 8,
> not the next bugfix release.
>
> +1

When 3.1 is due?

Vladimir

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

> > Java 7 is EOL since April 2015 (
> > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html)
> Oracle jdk 7 is eol. There is still openjdk. I don't think that has
> reached eol yet.

EOL means "no more public updates, including security ones".
Is there a vast number of users who absolutely cannot install Java 8?
Do they know their Java 7 installations might have critical security issues?

What are the true reasons to support Java 7?
Note: if JMeter was a library that is used by some well-known application
that is stuck with Java 7, then it would make sense to support Java 7.

JMeter is a standalone application, thus I see very little reasons to stick
with Java 7 since April 2015 was more than a year ago.

I think we should wait a bit longer before dropping java 7 support, or
> maybe take milamber's approach of supporting two branches.

Java 6 support was dropped after Java 6 was 2 years into EOL.
On April 2017 it would be 2 years since Java 7 EOL. Even if we start java 8
migration right away, we would not release earlier than April 2017. I wish
I were wrong here, but my experience shows that JMeter does not release
often.

Vladimir

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 5. August 2016 23:15:42 MESZ, schrieb Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>:
>Hello,
>I tend to follow Vladimir's reasoning on this.
>
>Next release would support Java7 , I suppose it would be released
>around
>september (which is more than 4 month after 3.0), based on this speed,
>Java8 would concern a release made on january or february.

Ok for planning the migration next year.

>I believe maintaining a new branch for Java8 is a bit too much work.
>We already have a lot of work and we're short of resources already, so
>will personally find it very hard to merge the branches knowing
>furthermore
>we are using SVN and not GIT which would make this a bit more easier
>(But I
>don't want to start again the debate on git :-) ).

Backporting patches is no big deal, even with subversion. Most of the work would be the additional releases.

Felix

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I tend to follow Vladimir's reasoning on this.

Next release would support Java7 , I suppose it would be released around
september (which is more than 4 month after 3.0), based on this speed,
Java8 would concern a release made on january or february.

I believe maintaining a new branch for Java8 is a bit too much work.
We already have a lot of work and we're short of resources already, so I

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: JMeter : Migrate to Java8