Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com> on 2008/10/15 08:51:54 UTC

Properties in Configuration Context

Hi Devs,
    We have been using the base context of conf_ctx to keep custom
properties. What we normally do is, get the base context and use its
(axis2_ctx) API to set/get properties. And we use external mutexes for
synchronization. Why don't we have get/set calls in conf_ctx API itself
so that we can set/get properties without any hassle. And that way we
can use the mutex in conf_ctx to handle synchronization. I think that is
the cleaner way of accessing the base.

Any thoughts?

Danushka

Re: Properties in Configuration Context

Posted by Uthaiyashankar <sh...@wso2.com>.
Damitha Kumarage wrote:
> Hi Danushka,
> We could easily wrap the  base context functions in conf_ctx, op_ctx,
> svc_ctx, svc_grp_ctx and msg_ctx. But this considerbly increase the
> lines of code. As I remember this was the main reason for not doing it
> previously. However I also agree that it is nice to have these wrapper
> functions in main contexts.

And Danushka's proposal includes internal mutexes as well. i.e. when we
set/get some property to conf_ctx, only one thread can set/get which is
very useful. If we get base context and then set the property, we have
to have an external mutex and manage them, which is always a problem. I
am +1 to add the methods as Danushka suggested.

Regards,
Shankar.

> Thanks,
> Damitha
>
> Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
>> Hi Devs,
>>    We have been using the base context of conf_ctx to keep custom
>> properties. What we normally do is, get the base context and use its
>> (axis2_ctx) API to set/get properties. And we use external mutexes
>> for synchronization. Why don't we have get/set calls in conf_ctx API
>> itself so that we can set/get properties without any hassle. And that
>> way we can use the mutex in conf_ctx to handle synchronization. I
>> think that is the cleaner way of accessing the base.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Danushka

S.Uthaiyashankar
Software Architect