Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Huy Vo (hvo)" <hv...@cisco.com> on 2006/11/03 21:27:01 UTC

Thread pool per webapp?

Hi,

I am wondering whether Tomcat supports thread pool configuration for
each webapp.  My understanding is that all webapps share the pool
configured for the connector.

Let's say I have webapps A and B, and A is more critical webapp.  Let's
say my connector's pool size is 100, and there are 100 concurrent
requests destined for A and B each (so total 200 requests here).  I
would like to allocate 70 threads to process A's requests, and only 30
for B's.

Is this something that Tomcat supports?  If not, what would be a good
alternative strategy for it?  I am thinking of using a RequestProcessor
to reject requests depending on its destination but that is not very
elegant as requests are rejected instead of being queued.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

===================
Huy T. Vo
Voice: 408-853-0535
Fax:    408-853-4021

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Andrew Miehs wrote:
> Why not, as i asked before, just start two tomcats? - not pretty but it
> works...
>
> ie:
>
> Tomcat1 (webapp1) - Port 8080
> Tomcat2 (webapp2) - Port 8081
>
> - Then setup tomcat1 with 70 threads, and tomcat2 with 30 threads....

This also gives good isolation between the web apps. The chances of a
problem with one impacting the other are slim.

If you want a single Java process, you could look at using multiple
service elements since connectors are associated with a service.

Mark

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
No argument here.  I don't see any other way do to what the OP wanted.

--David

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Martin Gainty wrote:
> Dave-
> to look at all of the properties of all the attributes you can do so by interrogating jmxproxy ..assuming tomcat is running on localhost and
> listener is configured on 8080
> http://localhost:8080/manager/jmxproxy/?qry=*%3Atype%3DRequestProcessor%2C*
>
> I guess I dont understand the nomenclature of "partition threads between webapps" maybe you can explain this to us?
> I have a servlet which lists free and working threads  ..more to come when completed later on this weekend..
>
> Thx,
> M-
> This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
> designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
> this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
> contents

<snipped for brevity.... />

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
lol

I wouldn't have the list without it(?) though, makes light work to have
a bit of alt.humour while you're reading through.

Maybe we can design a test?

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/06, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Does anyone else suspect that Martin is actually an expert system
> designed to read and respond to mailing list posts, but is totally
> failing the Turing test?

Yeah, I've been thinking exactly that for a while now. :-)

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Martin,

> I have received another blank email from Chris-
>
> Am i the only person that doesnt see your response???

Yes. Hahahahaha.

Ditch your mail client and get something that understands plaintext
attachments.

-chris

RE: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Thread pool per webapp?
>
> I have received another blank email from Chris-
>
> Am i the only person that doesnt see your response???

Apparently.  Works fine for me, and all of Chris' messages do show up in
the archive.  Something is broken on your end.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Chuck,

RE: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Thread pool per webapp?
>
> Does anyone else suspect that Martin is actually an expert system
> designed to read and respond to mailing list posts, but is totally
> failing the Turing test?

Wow.  That would explain a lot.  I might take issue with the term
"expert" in this case, though...

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Tomcat List,

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Re: Thread pool per webapp?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Huy,

> Let's say I have webapps A and B, and A is more critical webapp.  Let's
> say my connector's pool size is 100, and there are 100 concurrent
> requests destined for A and B each (so total 200 requests here).  I
> would like to allocate 70 threads to process A's requests, and only 30
> for B's.

You could do this by fronting Tomcat with a web server like Apache httpd
or a proxy server, and just use two different connectors. I think this
would be a more elegant solution than trying to hack-together a
short-circuiting, load-balancing RequestProcessor (probably a Filter
would be better, but not by much).

-chris