Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/24 08:25:18 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] Which NetBeans domains to keep?

Hi all,

Oracle donated 17 domains connected to NetBeans to Apache:

We don't need all of them, Apache shouldn't need to deal with those we
don't want and should let those domains expire that we don't want.

Of the 17 listed above, I propose we keep the following:

- netbeans.org -- the standard home page
- netbeans.tv -- a video/tutorial related domain
- stagenetbeans.org -- a staging domain, good to have one of those
- planetnetbeans.org -- the blog aggregator

Following Apache lazy consensus (https://www.apache.org/founda
tion/voting.html#LazyConsensu
<https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus>), i.e., no
voting or responses of any kind are needed, except if you object. If no one
objects within 24 hours, we'll assume lazy consensus and implement the
above proposal.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Which NetBeans domains to keep?

Posted by John Yeary <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

I like the list that GJ has, but I also like Ken F. and Ed's additions of
netbeans.com, .net, and .info for the reasons they stated. It also keeps
would be fake sites away in case someone types .com/.net/.info.

John
____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________
*NetBeans Dream Team*

*Founder Greenville Java Users GroupJava Users Groups Community Leader*
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
<http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
<http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Posted by Efrem Mc <ef...@gmail.com>.
One note, subdomains can do rollups if using SEO and analytics with one
single point to review, and multiple domains are separate unless cross
domain configuration is required.  Separate domains allows collections and
analytics about your traffic flow by domain.  It all depends on if the data
is worth reviewing and gathering statistics.

Maybe this is an off topic note above.

Regards,

Efrem Mc

Posted by Brett Ryan <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by pa...@tabor.one.

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
The 17 aren't listed in the JIRA but I would argue only netbeans.org is

Posted by Efrem Mc <ef...@gmail.com>.
vote +1, to keep most of the domains for transition purpose and notes below:

Basically restated:

   1. Consider the redirects as noted from Gj and also what Ken F. and Ed's
   additions of netbeans.com, .net, and .info for the reasons they stated
   above.
   2. Keep fake sites away in case someone types .com/.net/.info.
   3. We should let some domains expire that we don't want.

- netbeans.org -- the standard home page
- netbeans.tv -- a video/tutorial related domain
- stagenetbeans.org -- a staging domain, good to have one of those
- planetnetbeans.org -- the blog aggregator

*Consider keeping*
netbeans.org
netbeans.net
netbeans.info
netbeans.com
netbeans.tv
stagenetbeans.org
planetnetbeans.org

*Consider removing these: what purpose would they serve?*
devnetbeans.net
devnetbeans.com
devnetbeans.org
devnetbeans.info

*Remove*
netbeans2.com
netbeans2.org
netbeans2.net
testnetbeans.org
testnetbeans.com
testnetbeans.net

Regards,

Efrem

Posted by pblakez <pb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

NetBeans is (will be?) an ASF trademark, maybe we should ask for advice
here?

If this were a company the most strategic domains (netbeans.com,
netbeans.net) will also be preserved (probably redirecting to the main
netbeans.org).

So I'd also add netbeans.com and netbeans.net to the list, even if we
don't use them.

Cheers,
Antonio